Friday, February 17, 2023

How To Feel?

I liked her until I didn't like her.  I trusted her until I didn't.  She's the only person I ever told I just cannot be your friend. 

We shared activities with our children, even a road trip.  She was good company, always up for an adventure.  Still, I didn't really trust her.  I was always on guard. 

Years and miles separated us.  I was curious about her, but nothing more.  The long ago wounds never lost their sting.

Not very long ago, she fell ill.  Yesterday, she died.

I feel nothing.   I'm sad for her children, for her ex-husband, for those who loved her.  For me, there's no emotional component connected to her at all.  

Her death is just another reminder that we are getting old and that this is happening more and more frequently.  I'm getting used to the emotions that accompany these announcements; I'm noticing their absence right now.

Remembering when my parents' friends began to die, I didn't laugh when Little Cuter told me to take your high blood pressure medication and keep exercising.  

I could definitely feel her love.


6 comments:

  1. Honest feelings are just that, honest.
    I am noticing all of the celebrities that are my age and my husband's age who are gone now. Makes me think, maybe too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Racquel Welch - TBG's only Approved For Adultery person. Thinking on that topic is difficult... and difficult to avoid.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Oh, so many are gone. I feel the void of those who were such good friends and now gone. Makes me very aware of the remaining people in my life and how we can connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to miss opportunities to connect, too. And, like you, I miss those who were and now are not.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine died recently -- certainly not the first among my loved ones, but for some reason this haunts me with a sense of loss. Perhaps a reminder of my own mortality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG's high school classmates are dying with alarming regularity. Haunted is exactly how he's feeling.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!