Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Did You Watch?

I'm obsessed.  I'll admit it.  I'm organizing my week around it.  I'm furiously crocheting as I sit in front of the television for hours, watching the attempted destruction of our democracy.  I'm yelling at the screen,  I'm weeping, I'm fantasizing about DJT answering for his crimes.

Yes, crimes.  He's on tape.  He tweeted.  Objectively speaking, he did bad things and he must be punished.  

But we don't live in an objective world.  We live in a world where strangers can bust into a grandma's house looking for an election official and a volunteer - her daughter and granddaughter - to make a citizens' arrest.  The President of the United States had convinced them that the two women had conspired to steal the election.  The USB drive that they supposedly shared?  Listen to the daughter: 

This is a ginger mint.  



The Committee is drawing a direct line, at every turn, to the former President of the United States.  Will he be indicted for high crimes and misdemeanors, for overt criminal acts, for treason?  Those are all good questions, but I'm thinking smaller might be a good way to start.

How about going after the people who broke into grandma's home?  How about making the world feel safe to her daughter, who volunteered to help with an election; who worked for no pay, by the side of her daughter; who is afraid to give her name when she orders food.

This is taking place on a grand scale, on a huge stage.  But, just like at the Safeway in Tucson 11 plus years ago, there are small, personal consequences to these larger political crises.  I think it's important to remember them, too.

4 comments:

  1. The idea of alternative facts surely must come from an alternative universe. I wish DJT would take his tribe and slip back through that portal. Maybe that sounds crazy, but I think no more insane than still insisting we need a violent overthrow of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now, that is the best answer I've ever heard :-) When she said Alternative Facts my brain exploded. Glad to know I was not alone!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. We are watching too, but I admit I am getting weary of it. DJT is likely to escape indictment free, and thus consider himself vindicated, just as before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but did you watch it today? I am still riveted, as the loop comes closer and closer to the former felon in chief.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!