Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Running on Empty

I made it out of the house today - at 3 in the afternoon.

I spent the morning and reading dystopian near-future science fiction, took a break for lunch, then decided to finish the damn book even though I wasn't enjoying it at all.  I couldn't keep the characters straight, and it really didn't seem to affect my understanding of the plot, what plot there was.  

By the time I read the last page, I was in a funk.  

Going to the library didn't help.  I spent too much time wondering if I'd read the books I was choosing.  Still, I put them in my book bag and brought them home.  The authors are old friends - Harlan Coban and John Lescroart - so I know I won't be disappointed.  But I want to be transported, and that's not going to happen if I've been there, read that already.

Whole Foods didn't make me any happier.  The smell of fresh peaches and nectarines was intoxicating, but the bakery was out of all the loaves I like.  I wasn't tempted by any unusual vegetables or cuts of meat.  My heart wasn't in the adventure.

I came home and didn't swim.  

I sat at the desk and stared at the keyboard for fifteen or twenty minutes.  I watched the butterflies and the giant flying beetles and wondered about the baby quail..... all while in search of a post for you.

In the end, this is what we've got.  I'm going to have to reengage with the world.... but it keeps bringing me back to a classroom in Texas ..... and I have to say that running on empty is better than entering that space again.

I'll try to do better tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I had a hair appointment Wednesday morning, early. My hairdresser and I discussed armed intruder training. I've had plenty over the years. Terry attended one recently at our church and learned, basically, what I had been told almost 30 years ago--you are the first responder at such a breach, know what to do. So, she and I went through the things she could do if someone broke into her salon and had a gun. Would it work? Who knows, and hopefully she will never have to find out, but just as I was all those years ago, she had ideas as to what to grab, throw, push, plunge into the intruder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that you had to have this conversation. I'm so glad that you had that conversation.
    I'd start spraying hair spray in his direction.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!