Monday, April 6, 2020

The Things That Make Me Happy

All the items on my grocery list were available. 

I didn't know that would be the case; I ordered chicken in all its variations, hoping that one or two would end up in my trunk.  My freezer is now filled with filets and cutlets made from the many packages Safeway provided. 

I drove 19 miles to pick them up, with the mask Sister made for me firmly in place when I lowered the window to accept the receipt, and 19 miles back from the only store that had a pick up date within a week of the order I placed. 

TBG and I spent a long time disinfecting and re-wrapping and wiping and washing with soap before we stored our treasures.  I had a giddy smile plastered on my face throughout the entire operation.

We have a decontamination station in the garage, which holds the clothes we wear when we venture further than the mailbox.  We've devised an I'm Clean/You're Dirty system to handle opening packages and wiping down the contents.  Cooking requires mental preparation.  All of this makes me very happy .

I know how lucky I am.  As I type this, everyone I love is safe and healthy and relatively sane.  That also makes me happy.  That's a foundational happiness, upon which everything else is built. But around the edges, on the surface, where I live every day and bump into the world, having groceries in the house makes me very very happy.

4 comments:

  1. I just placed my first pickup order for noon this coming Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I just wish the pharmacy had a drive through, one must walk all the way through to the back of the store, breathing who knows what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! CVS has drive thru and delivery... maybe time to change the prescriptions to a safer location? You can always go back after the plague.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Grocery shopping, whether in store, pick up, or delivery, is a lot of work these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Little Cuter and I agreed that the washing and spraying and rebagging takes a lot of the joy out of finally having food in the house.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!