Thursday, January 27, 2022

I Don't Feel Any Safer

They - whoever they were - told me that two weeks would be enough.  The two weeks are up tomorrow.

The Omicron variant was to have bulled its way through the population by now.  The vulnerable are supposed to have been infected and gotten sick and suffered the consequences by now.  There are medicines to treat the disease, and the triple vaxxed don't seem to be dying or overburdening the hospitals.

Life was supposed to be back to normal tomorrow.

I don't know what I was expecting - a flurry of confetti from the sky, a brass band marching down America's Main Street, millions of people streaming into the streets hugging and laughing and already beginning to forget the past two years.

What I've got is nothing.

I don't know where to go for answers.  The CDC is once more under attack, this time from the left - what used to be the dispositive choice is now just another bunch of hacks, or so they say.  Big Pharma is making vaccines for Omicron, even as it fades away - piggybacking on the government's need to be seen to do something.  N95 masks are the gold standard for protection - I was the only one wearing one in the grocery store this afternoon.

I'd really like to celebrate my 70th birthday with friends.  For some reason, I latched onto this 2 week notice like a terrier with a chew toy.  I'm as disappointed as ever.  My plans were never made, and I suppose that's a good thing.  This milestone is just another thing that has been taken away, and its loss is far smaller than the months in which I've been away from my daughter's hugs, FlapJilly's Uno prowess, Giblet's giggles and buffoonery.

I just really thought things would be different.

5 comments:

  1. "They" misled you big time. Neither Arizona nor Indiana is heading in the right direction with covid, and the most we can hope for soon is a plateau at a high level of cases. I have told myself not to plan anything except essential errands and medical appointments until further notice. I am bored to death and mad as a wet hen. We just have to hang in there and do what we can to keep ourselves safe. Sending you love and a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My circle is small and mostly outside - we are lucky that it's sunny and warm enough to enjoy human contact without feeling constrained by walls. I'm less cautious than I probably should be, given my age and the numbers and the absolute refusal of 50% of the people I see to mask up.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Vaccination resisters are keeping COVID going, and encouraging variants. On the other hand, many people vaccinated or un vaccinated, seem to be doing what they want. Scale down your celebration but have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been saying that since the beginning - if they'd vax up we could all get on with our lives. Their poor choices result in my captivity.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. Hi, honey! Happy 70th, despite precautions, restraints, even the absence of giggles and hugs. I’ve seen the pics and videos on FB, and I bet those two darlings produce the very best giggles and hugs. We’re locked down again, too, and it’s different this time around, isn’t it? Your milestone age and my more advanced one make us hyper-aware of what we’re missing and of what we fear. But here I am, at a touch on a screen, catching up with your thoughts. And Facetime…wow! What a thing. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!