Monday, May 22, 2023

Happy Birthday, Little Cuter

There are some people who really do make the world a better place, just by existing within it.

There are some people whose presence brightens the room, the party, the meeting.  

There are some people who elicit Oh, thank God she's here! when a team is formed.

I'm lucky enough to have birthed one of them.

People gravitate to my daughter; in first grade the girls made a rotating list to keep track of who could sit next to her at lunchtime.  She was nonplussed by the drama.  She just wanted to be.

In 6th grade she wondered why the girls all fight with one another.  Don't they realize that if you don't fight with anyone you can sit anywhere you want at lunch?

Recruited to participate in Peter Pan, she won the part of Nana and wagged her tail into 5th grade history.  She's not one to push herself into the limelight; that giant dog costume was the perfect foil.  

But when she has a good idea and feels that it's being ignored, she raises her voice and makes sure she is heard. Some pretty wonderful changes have occurred in her orbit because she spoke up.

She was a beautiful child.  When her hair drew compliments at a summer job (hostess at a waterfront restaurant in Sausalito) she smiled and said Thank you, I grew it myself.

It's that little bit of snark that I love the most.

38 years ago right now we were struggling together to bring her into the world.  Her big brother was quite disappointed that she didn't throw the yarn ball back to him from her isolette the next day.  I think that's the last time she let anybody down.

I'm a very lucky mama.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful birthday tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made it easy to write; she's pretty wonderful.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Terrahttps://terragarden.blogspot.comMay 22, 2023 at 11:45 AM

    Your daughter sounds delightful. Happy birthday to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Little Cuter. Happy Labor Day, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right???? We do all the work and they get the presents. Something is not right! (to quote Miss Clavell).
      a/b

      Delete
  4. I really like how you describe your daughter. I see some similarities in my own daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky women, to have them in our lives, aren't we?!
      a/b

      Delete
  5. I felt the love and admiration for the most special daughter a woman could have. Well done Momma Bear, it doesn’t just come from no where.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!