Thursday, May 11, 2023

Digging and Watering

I succumbed to the pressure.  

Grandma Suzi, is the water warm enough today?  I'd been using the excuse that it was too cold outside to turn on the hose, but the details were apparently unclear to my young listeners.  But the sun was out and they were so eager..... I'm a sucker for a hug and a pleading voice.

They line up outside the garden fence, holding JannyLou's colorful Dollar Store watering cans, as I stand on the other side of the fence, hose in hand, trying to avoid their feet and their t-shirts and their faces as they jostle for position.
Always willing to pause to pose, 
the regulars in the garden were eager to get to the real work at hand.
There were weeds plants growing along the garden wall which obviously needed some love.  
Not everyone was into the water.  I've enlisted the garden scholars in digging a deep and wide hole to house a new citrus tree.  Dumping the soil that's been excavated is an issue, but the little wheelbarrow helps when it's time to move the dirt.  Once again, digging soothed their souls.
And then there was the combination of digging and watering.  The young man in the center of things looked ready to defend his choices, certain that making a mud puddle would be unacceptable.
He was surprised when I laughed and said that I didn't mind, as long as you are having fun.  They were back at work before I finished my sentence.  
They were making eddys in the water before the thirsty ground sucked it down.  Refills were always on the way.
Then the holes began to be created in the pathway.  They were having too much fun to stop.  The ground was a muddy mess.  I had hand rakes looking for a task.  Thus, a plan was born.

Dig a hole.  Use the rake to scrape the dirt/mud back into the hole.

Jump up and down to fill the hole, adding more and more mud until it's level with its surroundings.
That kept them busy until the whistle blew.  My garden was left relatively flat and walkable.  My tree hole was deeper and wider.  Most important - every one was happy.

2 comments:

  1. "every one was happy..." That's all that matters.

    On Wednesday I did the year-end final assessment with the first graders. I am so opposed to this exercise, but the organization with whom I volunteer insist that we be able to show the district and funding sources what we are accomplishing. I don't think it can be shown in a paper-pencil test, but what do I know. (Ha)

    For almost the entire year one of the boys has hidden in cupboards or under desks. He has slowly warmed up to me, running up to give me a hug when I arrive and then darting back to his hiding spot. Some days he does come out and listen to the story. Last week, when I read the last book of the year, he came to the rug and sat to listen. Yesterday, when it's time to take the test, he sits at his desk, takes the pencil and paper I offer him, and he answers all the questions. I haven't scored it yet. I don't need to. This boy has grown by leaps and bounds. That is all the assessment I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor self-less volunteer!! Assessing your work and your worth? And you have to score it? I give you an A+ for getting that youngster to join the crowd.
      I founded GRIN with "hassle free volunteering" as its motto. When you move to Tucson (!) I'll find you a school of your own.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!