Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Already???

I haven't bought my Halloween candy yet; the neighborhood trick or treaters will be coming around on Saturday evening, rather than on the actual holiday on Sunday.  The parents made this decision because Monday is a school day and they wanted to minimize the sugar rush on a school night.  I think it's a cheap trick to extend the begging season another day, but then, again, my grandbabies have been trick or treating at school and in Downtown South Bend for the past two weekends.  Everything seems to be stretching out, but my trip to the store for burgers and chips yesterday was really beyond the pale.

As I moved from the eggs to the yogurt, I looked to my right and saw this:
That's right - STUFFING!!!
More varieties of stuffing than I'd ever seen in one place - and Halloween isn't until Sunday.
There were brining kits and turkey bags, although there was nary a turkey to be seen.
TBG requested turkey breast and stuffing and mashed potatoes, but a couple of quick phone calls revealed that no meat counter in the neighborhood had anything like that at all in their coolers (hence, my search for burgers and chips).
If that weren't bad enough, look to the left of the oven bags.... 
Yes, those are Xmas colored sprinkles.

There were no trees or Santas or anything else remotely resembling Christmas, but these colored sprinkles nearly sent me over the edge.  
It's still October - what's the great rush???????

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if they're filling the shelves with future holiday items to fill in the gaps from Halloween things that they haven't received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea - I was in IKEA yesterday and there was NOTHING!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Christmas was on display at Home Depot when we were there yesterday.
    Without any young kids anymore I don't know when Trick or Treating is this year. Our house is too far off the street and with no sidewalks, so we are not on the treat route. I'm giving my grand kids cash. This might be the first year I don't buy Halloween candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years ago we bought nothing and the door bell rang - once. I found my penny jar and offered a handful.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. And yet...none of the stores have stocked the fruitcake ingredients or eggnog or holiday flavored ice creams. I know because I have check, I have asked, and in all cases been told, "Not until November, closer to Thanksgiving." I tried to explain to one produce manager that fruitcakes need to be made NOW, in October, to steep in brandy for 6 weeks prior to the holiday. She just shook her head and said the ingredients would be sent to her in November. One store clerk told me the holiday ice cream flavors were coming because she just got the tags for ice box. Oh, an have you heard, there will be a shortage of alcohol? I had a bit of problem finding brandy, but I got the next to the last bottle at the grocery store today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKEA was empty of anything remotely "new". It's going to be an interesting shopping season.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!