Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Grandma's Garden Is Open

Fall arrived on Friday.  TBG and I were both wearing sweatshirts when we left in the morning.  Not-Kathy and I enjoyed our cocktails al fresco while the husbands watched more football in the evening.  We had the windows open all weekend long.  I began wearing my new walking sneakers up and around the neighborhood.  

Monday morning found me at the front door of the school, watching as the newest member of the landscaping crew muscled a 3cu foot bag of soil onto his dolly which he then rolled all the way and into the garden bed where the scholars will incorporated it into the soil they are aerating, which is to say they are digging with great glee.

I'm still not sure why they were filling up the wheelbarrow then dumping the soil right back into the garden bed, but they were happy with the shovels so I let them be.  

4th graders followed this fellow
around the fence, admiring the legs and the wings
and the huge eyeballs.  

By then it was hot, so I climbed up onto the stump to untie the umbrella.  What are you doing up there? turned into a interesting conversation about umbrella ribs and the wonder of shade.  I was up there long enough to capture the moment.  (And yes, she is wearing pj's and slippers - it was Pajama Day.)
And we planted.  I bought zinnias and stevia and we planted them in the soil we rehabilitated one day when it was too hot to do anything else.  The stevia leaves were too sweet for some, but had others coming back for seconds and thirds.  

The pinwheels are fun to hold over your head as you run around the playground so long as you bring them back.  These two accepted the returns and were pleased with my anyplace you want them to be to their question.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!