Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Hiking in Marin

Miss Nancy and I were hiking 20-25 miles a week together before I ditched her to move to Tucson.  

Luckily, she doesn't hold a grudge. 

Today she and I braved the heat and took what was supposed to be a 3.1 mile hike in Novato.  It was hot driving up there, hot when we started out, and hot every time we took a water break. 

It was mostly shady,  but that didn't make a difference.  I would have taken pictures,  but the effort of turning the fanny pack around to get to the phone was more than I could bear. 

I was thinking that the activity was more torture than delight when Miss Nancy stopped ahead of me and announced that she was very hot. I said that I wouldn't mind if we turned around and the next thing I knew she changed directions and passed me going downhill. 

You know you're good hiking buddies when the discomfort is shared.  

We zoomed downhill and drove to eat tacos with the air conditioning on full blast and the windows open for more breeze. 

Neither of us could remember another hike that was this uncomfortable.  

We'd hiked for years,  every Saturday and Sunday and most Thursdays, too, before I left 18 years ago. We hiked in the rain (so much fun, once we upgraded our rain gear) and when there was frost on the ground.  We took windy hikes and lengthy hikes.  But in all that time,  we never turned around because of the heat.

Climate change, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!