Too Much Fun
We laughed and ate and swam and had a wonderful time during Big Cuter's Family Adventure in Tucson. Everything was perfect, except for one thing. We failed, miserably, when we tried to find something to put on the television.
It was August, so there were no real sports to be watched or rewatched or dissected ad nauseum. West Wing doesn't speak to Queen T the way it does to the rest of us. Big Cuter is not a fan of rom coms. The classic movies were either boring or ones we could recite by heart.
I wanted something with more action than plot. Big Cuter suggested Deadpool and Wolverine, and since I'll never give up a chance to look at Hugh Jackman, I was all for it. If you haven't seen it (and why would you, unless you're totally enmeshed with the Marvel Universe), think self-parodying, brightly colored, cartoon villains who cannot die.
Heads are sliced off, guts are punctured by all manner of sharp objects, arms and legs go flying... and after about 30 minutes TBG begged us to take it off the screen. He wondered about our sanity and our taste and our claims to being civilized human beings. Why would anyone want to watch any of that? he said as we tried to stifle our giggles.
And so, somehow, we ended up with Bridgerton. Everyone but TBG had seen it before, and all of us were eager to see it again. Despite his previous reluctance to join me (I had to be laid up with COVID to watch it alone) he found himself totally entranced.
I keep reminding him that it's soft core porn with a heart. a romance novel brought to the screen. He forgets and gets worried that something awful will happen.
I am reveling in the minutae I missed the first time around. We both comment on the clothes and the fabrics and the color coordinated party decorations and ladies' dresses. We awww at the sweet moments and hold hands when the characters discuss love and marriage. Its optimism is infectious.
We have one more season to watch.
Oh, you and your family would be disappointed if you should visit us. We only have network television (powered by an antenna on the roof) and a 19 inch tv screen. Our kids do have streaming on their computers at their house, but even there, no one watches tv programming. We all read. We all talk. We all go for walks. The grandkids have a 4 foot stack of games we sometimes play when there. We explore the area. We talk. Oh, and did I mention, we talk?
ReplyDeleteAfter an exhausting day herding a 1.5 and a 3.5 year old, being a couch potato felt great.
DeleteOh, I would collapse and take a nap after herding tiny ones. I was much younger when ours were under 10. Teenagers are great. They find their own fun and pull you in.
DeleteWhen Judah requested Terry go one on one with the basketball, Terry looked at him and replied, "You do know I'm 76 with a heart condition?" Judah's reply, "Yeah, so what, come on." And they did and had a great time one on one.
My husband and I have watched all of Bridgeton, and enjoyed it. Not sure we want to do do overs though.
ReplyDeleteIt loses a bit in the rewatching. Did you follow up with Queen Charlotte? I liked that even more than Bridgerton; it gives the backstory which makes the Queen more understandable and less cartoonish.
Deletea/b