Monday, March 11, 2024

Watching the Oscars

We've seen one or two of the movies, which is about par for the course.

Billie Eilish was wearing knee socks standing next to Ariana Grande, whose sleeves were weirdly gigantic puffballs of pink satin, and Cynthia Erivo, whose deep green dress had lizard scales down her (very lovely) back.  Ryan Gosling scampered about in a sparkly pink tuxedo.  

So far, that's the most exciting thing that's happened tonight.  The speeches are, for the most part, unintelligible.  We wondered, more than once, if the winners were speaking English.  

The fawning over the Best Actor nominees was cringe worthy.  Bradley Cooper brought his mother to the show, and her big blue sunglasses were just fab.  

I always like the hugging when the winners are announced.  Christopher Nolan must be a wonderful human being; everyone hugged him and mentioned him and enthused about him.  Steven Spielberg smiled benevolently as the passersby nodded in his direction. 

Emma Stone defined gobsmacked when her name was announced.  The fact that her dressed popped its back seam made me love every bit of her. 

Was Al Pacino high?  He shuffled out, opened the envelope without reading all the nominees, and then wandered around behind the throng of filmmakers involved in Oppenheimer who joined the producers on stage.  

Jimmy Kimmel wore a series of ever more ridiculous tuxedo jackets, tailored to highlight his least attractive features.  He made a joke about the Lying Liar and not everyone clapped.  

Children and parents and music teachers were thanked from the stage.  They were, I am sure, happier than I was to listen to it.

Can you tell that this is not my favorite show of the year?


2 comments:

  1. Well, I watched it all and had a much more favorable opinion of much of it than you, but then that's just ok too. I have seen seven of the ten nominated movies, all at home on my big TV, most for free. I did not have a favorite.
    I think I'll have to see Poor Things. It doesn sound very weird though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr K and Not Kathy liked American Fiction... and the winner is from Tucson!
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!