Thursday, March 17, 2022

Happy Saint Patrick's Day

I know nothing of the origin of this holiday, nor why it became a festival of drinking.  I don't have to send a card or a gift; it's a low key celebration for me.  It was fun to stand on the Michigan Avenue bridge and watch the green dye spread up the Chicago River; but that was in graduate school and I've aged out of such proceedings.

Instead, the holiday has always been special for Little Cuter and me.  We were the only two members of the family who liked corned beef and cabbage and boiled potatoes.  The boys probably had pizza; their dinner was not my responsibility.  

Nope.  Little Cuter and I peeled and cut and boiled and sat down at the table with lots of napkins and our plates piled high.  We drank water; she was a child.  We did not use any cutlery.  

Yes, denizens, my child and I ripped our cabbage to shreds with our bare hands.  We picked up slices of salty meat and ate them like somewhat less rigid hot dogs.  The potatoes were a challenge, but I'm sure we managed.  

It happened once a year.  It made us very very very happy.  We still laugh (ok, giggle) about it.  I wish we were together today.  It's just not as much fun alone. 

 

6 comments:

  1. I tend to ignore St Patrick's Day simply because of the corned beef and cabbage -- also called New England boiled dinner in my area, so I have to avoid it on even more occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG takes issue with the boiled aspect of the meal, as well.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. The tradition continues! We have an embarassingly large brisket in the crock pot right now and it will be finger-ready by dinnertime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oop, that was me :)

      Delete
    2. Imagining myself at the table, making a pig of myself right beside you.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. We are on the second day of a beef pot roast with carrots and potatoes, and steamed cabbage on the side. It's not a tradition, but it's yummy. Also finger tender but all the gravy would be messy so we use forks. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!