I so relate to what you are feeling. I have been trying to immerse myself in things with positive messages just to maintain some kind of normality. Nina
Hi there Burrow faithful, Little Cuter here, with news on my amazing mom. As most of you probably know by now, my mom attended the Congress on your Corner event yesterday at her local Safeway. Just as she reached the front of the line to shake Ms. Gifford's hand a gunman appeared and began shooting with an automatic weapon. My mom was shot three times. That's a sentence I never thought I'd have to type. Right this very minute my mom is in the ICU with her leg in a traction. She suffered a wound to her left chest, one to her abdomen, and a third to her right hip. She is incredibly lucky that none of her organs were hit, even though one of the bullet's entry wounds was in her abdomen. She has been taken care of by some fantastic and proficient doctors and nurses, and a wonderful social work team. My mom is the toughest broad I've ever met. She is awake and talking and cracking wise and we can all rest assured that the woman we love is still here, kicking ma...
The Golden Gophers are staying at Not-Kathy and Dr K's home this weekend. It's been our plan to have all six of us live in Tucson. The plan seems to be coming closer and closer to fruition. The K's are snow-birding, because Chicago is wonderful in the summer and they live right above the Ralph Gehry designed bandshell in Millenium Park. A picnic on the grass with fine music happens just about every night for them, and they have only to ride an elevator and cross a street with their wine and refreshments. While waiting for his wife to retire, The Golden Gopher has been volunteering and traveling and getting things organized so that they can move from Phoenix, which has been good to them, to Tucson, which, I am certain, will be better for them. They spent today looking at neighborhoods. The sun was out and the clouds were fluffy and the temperatures were below 100. The air smelled of creosote - just like the creosote syrup in h...
I know that short Jewish girls from New York do get shot. I know that time does stand still. I know that my grandmother was right to remind me to wear nice underwear in case it had to be cut off me on the concrete in front of Safeway on a sunny Saturday morning. I know that total strangers will put themselves in danger to save the lives of others. I know that being a passenger in a med-evac helicopter is a very cool experience, and that I was right to turn my head and see my town spread out below me. I know that I am loved. I know that Gabby Giffords and I are married to very handsome very passionate very wonderful men. I know that pilates and yoga and strength training and aerobic exercise provide you with "remarkable bones" which can hold a host of pins and plates and other paraphernalia and I know that without my time in the gym my experience right now would be very different. I know that The Bride and Seret and MTF and Little Cuter and SIR will drop whatev...
Nothing heroic going on here except attempting to care for a sick kitten. Life has traumatic edges right now
ReplyDeleteI so relate to what you are feeling. I have been trying to immerse myself in things with positive messages just to maintain some kind of normality.
ReplyDeleteNina