Monday, June 19, 2023

Watching Golf

So much time is spent walking.  Tanned below the sleeves of the ubiquitous polo shirts and the brims of multi-logoed caps, they walk.  It's pretty where they walk, but, to quote Mark Twain, golf, to me, is a good walk spoiled.

TBG tells me that in his youth, 250 yards was considered a long drive.  With new technologies and designs, he thinks Arnold Palmer could have hit 500 yards.  Consistently.

We saw Arnie, up close and personal, at the Kemper Open last century.  We found seats on the bleachers at the 18th tee, and just as we settled in the crowd rose to its feet as one.  Being polite golf fans, they immediately returned their bottoms to the planks and I was able to see what the hullabaloo was all about.

There, 10' in front of me, was Arnold Palmer, smiling, waving his cap, mugging for the crowd.  The man had the biggest forearms I've ever seen.  

In 2010, I walked PGA's Accenture Match Play Opening Round at the Ritz Carlton Dove Mountain.  As you can see if you click through, I was more impressed with the greenery and the adjacent activities than the sport itself.

But TBG is mesmerized, following Rickie and Collin and Rory.  He's groaning at missed chances and trying to will the little dimpled ball into the hole with the stick in it.

I've read two books and the Sunday NYTimes, spruced up the yard for a Juneteenth breakfast with friends, and swum 100's of laps since he started watching on Thursday.  

We're each having a very good time.

3 comments:

  1. That earned a good chuckle, which, coming from me, is high praise.
    I like the quote! I don't watch golf either, but I have actually in the long ago past found myself addicted to an hour or so. It must be the whispered tones. Do they still do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be among the chosen few who draw a chuckle! And yes, they speak quietly, even though it's mostly the cameras near the holes and the announcers away in the booth where they can laugh and talk loudly.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. The ObGyn who delivered my daughter was an avid golfer. The nurses were making bets on whether or not he would make it to the hospital in time. He did but I would have been just as happy if the nurses had handled it. The doctor had an autographed picture of Arnold behind his desk with a very rude comment on it that put me off the both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!