Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Flag Day

Parts of this have appeared before.

June 14th is Linda-from-Kindergarten's mother's birthday, a fact which I remember for no reason at all.  It's also Flag Day, although you'd hardly know it by looking around.  No parades, no speeches, just my flag outside my front door.

It's one of my favorite holidays.  Just me and my flag.  And Linda's mother.
*****
Back in 1970 or '71, Daddooooo was quite annoyed at the American flag patch on my jeans shorts, . He felt that using the flag to cover my tush was the height of disrespect.

Of course he was right; the Flag Code prohibits such behavior. Then again, it also prohibits all the machinations the NFL puts the flag through in the name of patriotism. I wonder what he'd say about that.

Back in 2015, though, I wondered how he'd react to soccer fans, with their flag clothes and their flag faces
*****
The Smithsonian Channel tried to convince me that Betsy Ross did not design and or sew the American Flag.  

I'm sorry, but NO.  

G'ma and Daddooooo took us to Fredrick, Maryland, where we looked up at her window and imagined the flag going proudly by. 

It certainly felt real to me. I was 9 or 10.

So, until they can show me the label or a receipt,  until I can hold the proof in my hand, I'm choosing to ignore their reality.

I like this holiday and I don't want anyone messing around with it.

6 comments:

  1. Flag Day is also my birthday -- forever ruined when I found out I share it with a former president.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! I wonder if my flag is being misconstrued ?!?!?!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. My birthday is tomorrow, June 15, and I was horrified to know that it is so close to the birthday of Angry Orange Man. Ughhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I didn't realize it was Flag Day or HIS birthday. Now I don't know what to say. I know, Happy Birthday, Olga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, we're both at the computer, both flummoxed, and, I hope, both smiling!
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!