Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Random Thoughts - The "It's All I Can Muster" Edition

Five days passed in 1600+ miles driven, two parties attended, old friendships renewed and new friendships made, outstanding food at almost every stop, and a thunderstorm to greet us as we pulled into the garage here at home.

I really need to sit outside and breathe some fresh air.  The lightning ionizes the atmosphere and the creosote is pungent and Cousin Brucie is no longer on Sirius radio, tripping over his thoughts in between giving He Who Will Always Be The Driver tunes to hum. 
*****
The driver owns the radio .... and I never drive.  I tried reading on the Kindle, but the power kept running out.

I could rant about paper books not requiring anything but ambient illumination, but the need to recharge the thing gave me time to chat over Chad and Jeremy... who were an improvement over the bubblegum theme... who were a disappointment after Dusty Springfield, my favorite she-should-be-more-famous artist of that era.
*****
Many of the wedding guests had traveled coast to coast for the ceremony on a golf course in Monterrey, California.  For some, it was the first time they'd experienced the vastness of our views here in the west.

TBG and I listened, eavesdropped, agreed with anyone who mentioned it, and always replied the same way: We vacationed here. We lived here. It never gets old.

 Even the air smells better.
*****
I got to put my bare toes in the Pacific Ocean, and to walk along the sandy shore, watching the kayakers learn to paddle synchronously.  Big Cuter remembers kayaking next to the swimming otters and going to the Aquarium when he was but a boy; I wonder if the man remembers how terrified his mother was as those happy furry swimming things tried to avoid my feeble attempts at navigating, showing their teeth and looking much more menacing than they probably were than and certainly are now, in hindsight, as I type the words to you.

I am an honest woman.  I am willing to represent myself fairly, foibles and all. Can you feel me resisting the delete key?
*****
We were hungry when we pulled in and now we are too tired to eat.  There aren't a lot of interesting choices in the refrigerator or the pantry, and the idea of getting back in the car and driving anywhere right now is probably not the kind of thing I ought to suggest to TBG ... remember him... the one who won't share the driving?

I've put the delicates in the sink to soak, unpacked and put away my suitcase, and written to you. 

My work here is done.  There is only one thing to do. 

Nap.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time--even if you did do a lot of driving to get there and back. Did you happen to feel the earthquake or were you already on your way home?

    Relax for a day or two. That's what I do now when I get home from vacation. I know... some people would say you have been away on vacation and should be relaxed, but I always need a couple of days to decompress at the beginning and end of a vacation.

    Welcome home. :)


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming home from vacation is exhausting! Mail (and I never really went through it after my 3 weeks in Illinois!) and laundry and the garden and the routine - I need a vacation from my vacation!

      The earthquake epicenter was in Napa, about 300 miles north of us. Marin friends were shaken, tho.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!