Friday, November 26, 2010

Overheard Over Thanksgiving

Son to Mother and Sister who are still cooking dinner: "Dad was going to take something to the trash so I followed him because I thought he was going to sit at the table.  So I sat at the table and then he saw me sitting at the table so he joined me at the table.  We're really not rushing you girls at all."

No, you're just munching on the cheese and putting your napkins in your laps and waiting... and waiting... and of course I'm feeling rushed.  But they are smiling and laughing and most of all they are HERE so I don't mind.  I just try to will the carrots to caramelize.
*****
Said after watching Little Cuter and me in the kitchen, cooking up a storm for Wednesday night dinner while he and his father lay on the couch watching ball games:   "Do you girls mind this gender specific role division?"

I know that my personal feminist revolution has been won if my son acknowledges such inequities.  Of course, they kept watching and we kept cooking, but we were all where we wanted to be.
*****
"I just had to have vegetables." Little Cuter as she made caramelized carrots to accompany the tacos her male relatives craved.  What a healthy thing to hear.
*******
"What time are you getting your mom?"

"Oh, SHIT, I forgot about G'ma!"
*****

As I, math challenged that I am, asked G'ma how many ounces were in a cup, TBG wondered why I needed to know.  "I don't want to measure them out, I want to know how many are in the box." Big Cuter explained: "She wants to do the math.  I know that's weird coming from my mother, but.........."

They laugh at my foibles and love me nonetheless.  And my mother, without missing a beat, knew that there were 8 ounces in a cup.  And she was surprised that I didn't remember that fact... and she did.  I know she's in there somewhere.
*****
I was in the kitchen, grabbing a serving spoon for the mashed potatoes when Little Cuter's voice came like music to my ears: "Mmmmmm... Mom, are you hearing the mmmmm's?"

It's nice when your kids want to be sure that you're sharing the love.
*****
And on that note, Meg, over at The Members Lounge, asked for my brownie recipe.  In the spirit of sharing the love, here it is:
  • Melt 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate and 1/3 cup unsalted butter.
  • Beat together 2 large eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and a dash of pure almond extract.
  • Add the melted chocolate and butter.  Mix together.
  • Add 2/3 cup King Arthur Flour and 1 teaspoon each of salt and baking powder.
  • If you like, add chopped walnuts.
  • Bake in an 8x8x2 ungreased pan at 350 for approximately 20 minutes.  My crew likes them slightly undercooked (17 minutes) and gooey, but you may prefer them with a drier texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!