Monday, November 29, 2010

How I Spent My Thanksgiving Break

with many thanks to Little Cuter for the photos.

Back and forth to Tucson International Airport, no direction lasting more than 25 minutes.  Another reason to love living here.
*****
We stayed close to home, avoiding the big stores... except for Costco.  Suitcases and vodka and sparkling water, a wreath and 2 huge poinsettias and a strong son to put them into and take them out of the cart and the car.  I knew there was a reason I had children.
*****
Vibram Five Finger Shoes were purchased (Happy Hanukah) for Big Cuter and hiking shoes selected and paid for and given to TBG for a perfect surprise Christmas present for me.  We toured the outdoor mall in the upscale suburb which was supposed to house a Bloomingdales or Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus but which, predictably, now houses a Wal-Mart, while TBG visited the dentist.  Athletic gear at Dick's and GrandDog toys at Petco and shoes and shoes and more shoes at DSW and then a lovely lunch at Wildflower. Having grown up children is really quite wonderful.
*****
Little Cuter apparently thought that my preparations were worthy of commemoration. 


She laughed about my post-it notes, but really, why would I want to try to remember the decision I'd made about what to use for the mashed potatoes?  I thought about it once, I wrote it down, and I didn't have to think about it again.  I'm an old person, kiddo.  I need my notes and my lists and my directions.


*****
G'ma and the Crayolas and Amster joined us for our feast.  We were too stuffed for dessert.  Perhaps it had something to do with the heavy whipping cream Little Cuter used in the mashed potatoes.  Or, perhaps it was the prosecco and sauvignon blanc and viognier.  It was universally agreed, and I repeat it here with much humility but also with pride, that this was our best Thanksgiving effort ever. We were 80 and 60 and 50 and 40 and 30 and 11 and 9 sitting around the table, and there was no arguing or fidgeting or monopolizing of conversation.  There were, however, stories and jokes and seconds and thirds and lots of contented silences.  

Daddooooo always interrupted those moments by announcing "Ah, silence.  A compliment to the chef."  I heard him in my heart.
*****
Much football was watched and The Crayolas, fervent Cowboy fans, were disappointed, but for the most part there was little emotional investment in the games themselves, up until Boise State lost to Nevada/Reno on Friday night.  Two missed field goals, the first after a 61 yard pass combined with a laying-flat-out-running-at-full-speed catch to bring them to the 20ish yard line and win the game and the second in overtime, from a kicker who splits the uprights nearly 75% of the time.  It's a good thing we are casual fans; we'd have been seriously bummed if we really cared.
*****
Little Cuter's camera needed fixing and a telephoto lens needed purchasing and gifting (Happy Birthday) and we left the boys on the couch, taking off on an adventure of our own.  The saguaros had personalities

and the petroglyphs were, perhaps, just ancient graffiti 


and after a while it all began to look the same


I walked the labyrinth at the Redemptorist Renewal Center


There's not a lot of wildlife in the desert right now.  It's too cold for the snakes and lizards and we weren't high enough for the migrating birds.  The coyotes and bobcats are around in the early morning and rarely on a well-traveled path where humans might be encountered.  It didn't really matter. The telephoto made things look right here and she had a big smile on her face.  Some presents are just meant to be given.
*****
Then Sunday rolled around and the first run to the airport left the garage at 6:15am.  Amster and her kids and I had pancakes and eggs and shakes for Sunday breakfast and, in true Tucson style, we walked right in and sat right down and I had endless refills of soda (I know, I set a bad example for the young'uns, but I use it as a lesson that no one is perfect).  Fired by caffeine and sugar, I packed up Thanksgiving


and hung the wreath.  The outside will start to look like Christmas, and inside I'll be doing Hanukkah first. 

But that's another post.
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!