Coming Home

TBG is being released today.  The relief is palpable.... for both of us. 

The hospitalist managed to secure a follow up appointment with a doctor whose scheduler told me the next avaliable date was in November. 

Home health care is organized, and I had nothing to do with it.  Behind the scenes, people were working and planning and all we had to do was say yes. 

His bills this year are close to $500,000, and that's without this 8 day plus surgery stay. We paid a manageable deductible.  Procedures billed at thousands were magically reduced to hundreds because we have insurance.  The uninsured pay the not-discounted-amount.  It's easy to see why medical debt destroys families. 

Medicine in America is broken.  None of the staff here received the 40% increase that TBG now is paying for h his insurance.  Where did that money go? 

Gun violence is never acceptable.  I can, however, understand the rage and fury and helplessness that fed Luigi Mangione's desire for retribution. 

Comments

  1. I'm glad to read that things are looking up for the TBG, and I agree with your assessment of the state of medical insurance in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that he is home, good news. You are spot on regarding the state of medical insurance in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for coming home and feeling better. May all the future medical appointments be for good stuff.

    We are on our way to Stanford for PRRT number 3 tomorrow. Yes, the costs add up, and, yes I am so grateful for insurance. I am also very grateful for smart medical folk who can use AI to write their reports that coincide with what the insurance people are looking for. One being, is this person worth this amount of money...seems barbaric, but it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the PRRT #3. AI reporting has its ups and downs; a new PCP's report was replete with errors (I left that doctor) but it's better than a scribe sitting there transcribing the interview. Coinciding with insurance...... I'm getting very good at figuring out what they want to hear.
      Barbaric, indeed.
      a/b

      Delete

Post a Comment

I KNOW THE FONT IS TOO SMALL......

Popular posts from this blog

Tough

A Gentle Monsoon

What I Know