Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Random Thoughts

It's nice to be at leisure.  It's nice to have the space in my brain for random thoughts. 

I know that nice was one of those words the-world's-best-5th-grade-teacher frowned upon, but nice is exactly what it is.  There is no emphasis one way or the other, it's just nice.
*****
Why do Swedish crime novels make me feel cold?  I read Arne Dahl's Misterioso last week and I found myself wrapped in Carol's-girls'-cashmere-throw by the end of the last chapter.

Dare I mention to those of you shivering in northern Michigan that the temperature was hovering in the mid-90's and the sun was shining brightly?  I was pretty surprised to find myself swaddled, I must admit.
*****
Alexander McCall Smith is on my list of Conversations I'd Like to Have. I just finished A Conspiracy of  Friends, which, I must admit, centers on a Pimlico terrier named Freddy de la Hay who is a spy and who has many friends.  These friends live in a place called Corduroy Mansions. 

If I ever live in a communal space again, I hope it's called by a name as wonderful as that.
*****
Chandler is back on television, and he's just as sweet and confused as ever.

Go On puts Matthew Perry in group therapy and behind a tv sportscaster's desk and if you have 24some minutes treat yourself to the pilot episode, which I embed here for your enjoyment.

We were guffawing.  I haven't guffawed in a long long long long time.
*****
Columbus Day is an interesting holiday.  I wondered about putting out the flag, didn't know if the stock markets were open, knew that schools were closed and then found some were on half-day. Curiously, the garbage can and the recycling can have been sitting on either side of the driveway, patiently awaiting the hug of the mechanized arm which lifts them up for the thrill of a lifetime before they hurl last night's dinner scraps. 

Apparently, Waste Management is an entity which observes the holiday.  Who knew?  Certainly not I, nor any of my neighbors, it seems.
*****
Flu shots are everywhere these days.  Wally-World has a table between the optician and the returns.  The pod-castle is offering them for free on Thursday morning to any and all who visit the residents.  The grocery store table was packed last time I pushed my cart in its direction.

If we all get our shots, maybe none of us will get sick?  That's the plan.... I'm on board.... are you?
*****
I'm still not over my candidate's lackluster performance in the debate last week.  He's all that is standing between me and an America I don't want to know.

As the talking heads repeat ad nauseum, the Obama campaign asks a lot of its supporters.  It requests energy as well as money in the multitude of emails clogging my inbox.  If I have to be engaged, shouldn't my candidate have the same requirement?
*****
When Pandora Radio creates a Bonnie Raitt channel, it's also an Eric Clapton channel.  I do so love that pickin'.......

6 comments:

  1. Am going to check out the new Matthew Perry series tonight. Thanks for the link.

    Have my flu shot and my little guy has his. Now just have to get it for my two girls. Unfortunately, hubby cannot get one due to being allergic to poultry. So it's best the rest of us don't get sick; so we don't get him sick.

    I have to laugh at your comment about the requests for campaign funds. It's a blessing and curse that the Obama campaign has that easy donate feature. I'm constantly clicking it 'cause I just hope that each time I give, it's going to make a difference and that idiot is not going to win. Do you know how much that scares me????

    Off to get some work done.


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't do the flu shot because it literally made me very sick the last time I had one some 30 years back with a lump in my arm that lasted for months; but I like the idea of others getting them to have less flu around. I settle for washing my hands a LOT when I go to stores this time of year although I went in for a physical a week or two ago-- didn't follow my own advice when leaving the clinic and got sick several days later with bad sore throat and kind of cold which fortunately didn't last long; but convinces me to stick religiously to hand washing.

    We've given a lot to Obama and still hope for the best there but I am convinced the media (left and right) has done more damage to him over his debate performance than what he actually did. Yeah he was lackluster and did not confront, but he did have the answers. They were too full of facts is the accusation. I just hope he wins; but if he doesn't, then I hope that the flimflam man has been conning the right and not the rest of us. Nobody can know what the heck he will be when he gets in if he does. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true, Rain, too true. None of us knows who is or what he truly believes. He's either scamming the right by picking Ryan or scamming the rest of us to get the gig. Either way, it's a character flaw and he makes me very very antsy.

    So, two comments and two humans who can't be vaccinated. Stick with washing hands and not rubbing your face you guys.... I need all my readers in one piece <3
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Swedish crime novels and "Go On" too, am also getting tired of campaign donation requests-by email, mail and phone! Not happy with the Obama campaign right now, and I'm with you about not wanting that alternative nation.
    So I guess should schedule my flu shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Another human besides TBG and me who knows about Go On! I agree, Linda, sometimes all you can do is what you can do.... getting a flu shot is, at least, something!
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I don't agree with you on the show "Go On". As a widow I find it demeaning to those of us who are mourning a loved one. This is a case of every topic is not funny.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!