Tuesday, March 24, 2020

How Times Have Changed

Last Monday, March 16th, I managed to place an on-line grocery order.  Our cupboards were bare; I was paring down in preparation for our trip to the grandkids, planning to replenish the pantry upon our return.  But seclusion was called for and I wasn't sharing my San Francisco cooties with any more Tucsonans than those I passed in the airport.  I wasn't going to the store.  The store was coming to me.

I failed at several sites before finding success at Safeway.  I sat back and clapped my hands in joy when I received the confirmation email. 

We waited all night for the food to be delivered; after all, the email promised it on Monday between 7 and 8 pm. It never arrived.

Over the past eight days, we've been referring to it as the Phantom Grocery Order, with TBG requiring daily reassurance that the charge had not been posted. 

And then, today, at 3 o'clock, we received an email.  Our groceries would be delivered today, Monday, March 23, between 7 and 8 pm. 

We laughed.  The groceries were arriving. We were relieved that I didn't have to get up early to shop during Old People's Hours tomorrow.  The further down I scrolled, the more the email delighted me.  There was a list of substitutions/out of stock/undelivered items first, but then there was a long list, a glorious list, filled with milk and chicken and oranges and potatoes and ketchup and lots more, all of which would be dropped at my front door that very evening. 

We haven't had many good surprises lately. We shared some really big smiles for a really long time.

And then, for some reason,  I checked the original email.  It confirmed the delivery on Monday... March 23.... not that same day but a whole week later.... but still between 7 and 8 o'clock tonight.

I placed the order around lunchtime; of course I assumed I'd have it that evening.

How naive I was to assume that things were still the same, that same day was the normal, that 2-hours was expected....back then on Monday, March 16th.

And the weird is just getting started. 

8 comments:

  1. Lucky you on the eggs! We haven't seen those for quite some time. I guess we're getting up early Thursday and foraging. I hate getting up early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I decided to stock up, but I am certainly glad that I did!
      a/b

      Delete
  2. No eggs in our stores. There were some at Whole Foods last week, but very few and we still had eggs, so I left them for the more desperate. At which point, I am assuming the chickens all went into quarantine and will not be seen for the duration. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens in quarantine..... I'm having fun with that image right now <3
      a/b

      Delete
  3. Same thing happened to me with sprouts. I ordered on Mon and was thrilled that I would get it Mon pm. No show. Email comes and it was scheduled for Wed. How is it that we are both the same dopes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we have expectations of excellence - and excellence used to mean Right Now!
      a/b

      Delete
  4. We are still going in person to the actual store three blocks away. We'll have to get up early and go during old peoples hours. We'll have sanitary wipes, gloves and masks. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Breadsmith for 3 loaves (freezing half of it, at least) which I'd preordered to reduce time in the store and used my wipe for everything. Bill was $18.95; I left her a 20 and got out of there as fast as I could.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!