Thursday, April 1, 2021

A Big Deal

Look, here's the deal.  America is falling behind in infrastructure.  Bridges are in danger of collapse, 400 some of them in dire need of immediate replacement.  And how about those roads and no wifi in outlying areas. Our enemies are aware of our shortcomings, and are prepared to capitalize on them.  

Unions built the middle class and the middle class built America.  I have nothing against millionaires and billionaires and big, successful companies, but working class families shouldn't pay 22% of their income in taxes when Amazon pays nothing.  I have an idea to make them pay up, and it's a better deal than they had up until 2017.  

I'm not wedded to my funding scheme.  I welcome input and new ideas.  Just don't think about adding any tax burden to anyone earning less than $400,000 a year.

Oh, and we're going to replace every lead pipe carrying water to humans.  Every one should be able to drink clean water.

My plan is certainly big and bold, but America is good at doing big and bold.  There is nothing we can... or.... that is to say there is nothing we can't do if we do it together.  Historically, infrastructure has been a bipartisan issue.  Can't we all get along?  

$2,000,000,000,000 is certainly a lot of money.  But we're investing in our future.  Our children and grandchildren will thank us.
*******
If you didn't hear Joe unveil his American Jobs Plan today, that's a pretty complete summary, gaffe reference and all.

I'm thinking about the grand spaces America used to build, about the difference the interstate highway system made in all our lives (and IKE promoted it as a way to move men and machinery during wartime, the same way Joe referenced our enemies finding chinks in our grid, today), about the beautiful new bridges and lead free drinking water and I'm feeling very glad about the state of our Presidency right now.

4 comments:

  1. I can go off into a woulda, coulda, shoulda rant but I am trying to just appreciate that things are looking better now. That we have a president who clearly shows compassion lets me breathe again.

    As for those who are ripping Biden's speaking ability apart -- What were they listening to in the past four years?? Even if the message "I don't care" is eloquently spoken, it's still heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to nothing afterwards. I was reveling in the broad vision and optimistic tone. I didn't want to spoil the mood by listening to people dissect his delivery.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only heard snatches of the newest plan, and I realize that Pres Biden is not a great speaker. Good grief, he's even older than I am and I have trouble finding my words often these days. But his message is the right one. With Joe we can grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he's a stutterer. Who cares? He's smart and passionate and his plan is just what we need to change America.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!