Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Watering the Hanging Garden

Once I got the right Universal Key, we could turn on the second hose bib.  That meant we could use the hose to water the hanging garden.  That meant we had to move the hose.
It meant untangling it, unkinking it, unwinding it.  It meant cooperation.  It meant getting dirty.
There were temptations aplenty, once things got straightened out.  It was cold enough (notice the gloves on the left) that no one wanted to take an outdoor shower.... but it was tempting.

That was then, when school was in session.  Today, the school is closed for Spring Break.  Grandma's Garden is behind a locked gate and a very high fence.  The raised beds and the mandarin orange tree are on the automatic irrigation system.  The hanging garden attached to that fence requires human attention.  It does not know that the Garden Club is on vacation.  It only knows that the sun is out, the breeze is blowing, and watering would be very nice, thank you so much, really, we'll perk right up.
I've been pondering the problem for a while.  I can't reach the hose bib from outside the fence.  I'm not strong enough to carry and lift enough water in one container.  My soccer mom water cooler won't fit between the slats.  Then, I remembered the Smart Water bottles I've been saving.  
My plan is to give them to the Garden Club kids who don't have a watering can at home, but there's no reason they can't be useful now.  I put the box in the trunk of The Uv.  I stood the water bottles around the hose bib outside my garage, filled them, and put them, one by one, into the box.  No heavy lifting for me; I save my energy for the tasks I enjoy.
Like watering.
I had exactly enough for all the baskets with sprouted seeds.
I love it when a plan comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!