Wednesday, March 6, 2019

TFOB Part 3

I secured a reserved ticket to hear Lorna Luft waxing eloquent on classic movies.  I was in my happy place.

She's a slip of a thing, as Daddooooo would say, presenting as a friend you'd have over for wine and conversation.  She's quick on the uptake, eager to laugh (at herself and at others), and achingly sincere. 

I sat 50' from Judy Garland's daughter on Saturday.  For me, it was a thing.  Here are some snippets:

She's written A Star Is Born, a timely title this Oscar year, and the conversation kept bouncing back to that movie.  Did you know that the studio really wanted Cary Grant opposite Judy Garland?  They wined him and dined him over many months but, ultimately he said "I can't play Norman Maine."  
*****
There have been 5 versions of the film, "because it's a great story, isn't  it?" 

There's only one line that's been in all of them: "I just want to take another look at you."

If you've seen it, you know why. 
*****
The 1954 version was cut to ribbons by Warner Bros, which thought it ran too long.  By instructing projectionists where to cut the film (they sent directions), they could squeeze in an additional screening or two.

Only the audio exists intact today. If you watch it now, the cut portions are covered with stills.

You may now stop hissing Jack Warner.
*****
As for Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's steamy Oscar performance and the subsequent gossip about a romance, "It's not happening, people!  They're ACTORS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!