Monday, April 17, 2023

Substack, Clarence Thomas, and Me

Have you investigated Substack?  

It's a long form combination of Twitter and Blogger - the quick response and sharing features of Elon Musk's hulk of what used to be a source of information but which is now just supporting his ego AND the regular postings of people I know and trust.  

While my Twitter feed was curated to keep most of the crazies at bay, so many of the people I followed have left the platform that it's no longer very useful at all.  I counted on Joyce Vance's insight for the legal background on Trump's troubles; she's now on Substack, sharing her ideas and opinions and pictures of her chickens and their new coop.  I don't have to open threads any more.  It's all laid out on one page, just like my blog.

There are paid and free options for everyone.  Instead of resubscribing to Vanity Fair, I used those dollars to follow her and have the opportunity to comment and get extra posts.  It was a smart move.  Although I thought I'd miss the gossipy, sleek, and shiny magazine pages and their attempts to keep me up to date on what's cool and trendy, I've found that I don't really care that much.  I have Little Cuter to keep me up to date on those issues.

I read long and meandering posts from Kareem Abdul Jabbar.  He's not the best writer in the world, but his viewpoint is interesting and often quite thought provoking.  His profile introduces him as offering

his take on news, pop culture, sports, and whatever else interests him.  There are links to music, outrage over Republicans stripping Americans of their rights, and analysis of the sports world that is entirely believable.  After all, he's Kareem.


I don't care that much what is behind Dan Pfeiffer's pay wall; the early portions of his rants are enough to let me know what the old Obama crew is thinking.  Still, it's nice to have a little bit of outrage every few days.

Heather Cox Richardson is writing the history of America as it happens.  She's fact based, delving deeper into the stories that Google News gives only brief notes.  Her most recent expose of the DOJ's efforts to combat the fentanyl epidemic gave me some hope that actual steps are being taken to end the scourge.

Judd Legum's Popular Information, Cheryl Strayed, and Larissa Babij's a Kind of Refugee are three very different and interesting takes on the world we live in.  I recommend them all. Krassensteins' Democratic Informer - Fighting Hate and Lies is often a video.  The twins who create the content are smart and Jewish and opinionated; if you don't agree with them you might be appalled.  

I'm still browsing and picking new reads, reads which are labeled by the length of time it will take to read them and whose identifying symbolism changes from a red dot to a black check mark once they are finished.  I spend less time rereading stuff; that's a good thing.

Then, there are NOTES, which are restacked and passed on by others.  There are also comments - civil, intelligent, honest comments.  A nasty piece of verbiage was called out immediately.   Substack is aiming to be a respectful forum, and thus far it seems to be meeting that goal.

I left my first comment after Joyce Vance referenced Stephen Beschloss's concerns about Clarence Thomas.  It was a comment I researched and spell checked (twice), comparing Abe Fortas and Clarence Thomas.  If I could find it again I would copy it for you.  Alas, I have no idea where it went after I saw it the first time.  It's a new platform, and they are still finding their way.  Hamish McKenzie, one of the creators, wrote what's quoted below.  Read on, if you're interested.  
***** 

I don’t think it’s helpful to think of Notes as a Twitter alternative. It’s something new and different. It’s a sharing and recommendation system that is part of the Substack network, so it’s about growth and discovery and connection and community. It will reveal itself more over time (in some ways that we can’t anticipate, I bet) and as it does it will become ever more distant from the social networks we know today. It’s a subscription network, not a social network; it’s something different.

As for content moderation: kick the tires for a bit, spend some time on Notes, hang out in your Subscribed tab, then dabble in the Home tab. See what the experience is like. See how often you come across deleterious stuff. Block people you really don’t want to hear from. My bet is that the dynamics of the subscription network and recommendation graph make it default much better than other platforms. We have content guidelines that we will continue to enforce, but it’s the design of the system, and the more power and control that you ultimately have as a user, that will make Notes a great place to spend your time.

We’ll be publishing our vision and philosophy about how we ensure Notes is a good place for discussion later this week. We hope it will spark some productive thought and critique.

6 comments:

  1. One of my blog friends has gone to 'Substack but I actually resented her attempt to monetize her writing. Her posts are long and not that great, even though she considers herself a writer.
    I'll pass for now. I can barely keep up with blogging, FS, the newspaper, and TV news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I feel the exact same way. It seems Substack likes to promote itself as a tool to help with previously published writers or those wanting to be published. And, in both cases, I don't find their writing all that good or engaging. I'm staying away from Substack for the time-being as I'm not going to be paying for what I've seen.

      Delete
    2. I've eliminated Facebook (a few years ago) and Twitter (oh, Elon) and WaPo and the NYT. I pay for Joyce Vance because she never disappoints (and she has chickens) and I value her perspective; and for Heather Cox Richardson for a fairly unbiased, always well written, story of history as it's being written. It's worth the less than $2 per week that it costs to keep me informed, along with the news at some point during the day to see what The People are hearing covers.
      And, of course, the Arizona Daily Star every day, because local journalism will save democracy.
      a/b

      Delete
    3. I don't venture behind the pay wall for any of the others because, like you two, I'm really not that impressed by any of it. I don't need to comment or listen to special private members only conversations. I have no interest in monetizing The Burrow. Blogger works just fine for me.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Heather Cox Richardson is a terrific read, in my opinion. Otherwise I pretty much stay away from blogs (except this one), and I am NOT on any social media and never will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree about HCR. Your opinion matters.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!