Monday, October 5, 2020

Schadenfreude

I've read all the snarky tweets, seen all the (very funny) memes and GIFs, listened to friends voices and read their texts and emails. There's a general sense of guilt mixed with I told you so floating in a soup of how should I feel about this.

I have no problems.  I have a solution.  It's tried and true.  It has been used whenever our nation has suffered a shattering loss - mass shootings especially seem to bring it out.  It is meant to console and comfort and show empathy and compassion.

At least that's what I assume those who use it want us to believe about them.  They are concerned.  They are paying attention with their heads and their hearts.  They are good people.

And so, here's all you have to say, write, think:

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

That's it.  

No need to take any action.  It's probably too soon, or too personal, or too intrusive, or too something.  You've said what you had to say.  You can be done with the issue now.

It works for them.  It's just about the right amount of time to expend. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so, too. My mind is filled with many things; sympathy for the devil does not need to occupy any space.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. There's a line running through twitter of "tots and pears", often accompanied by a picture of pears that amuses me. My level of concern is for the protective details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the WH staff. The talking heads can barely speak.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Happy to oblige. I"ve been using it all week and I have to say: It Is Perfect!!
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!