Tuesday, December 10, 2019

It's Raining - A Snippet

People don't know how to drive when it rains in Tucson. 

I think that they are stunned by the fact that we are experiencing weather.  I'm sure that it rained where they lived before, and I'm sure that they drove in that rain.  Somehow, living in the desert has erased any muscle memory of those events. 

Turning on the windshield wipers activates the Oh, dear, what do I do part of themselves.  They pause for no reason, often in the middle of the middle lane, slowing but not stopping, wondering, I suppose, how they became trapped in this wetness.

I'd be upset, except that by the time I got to my destination the deluge had stopped and the air smelled of creosote, and the sky was crystal clear, and the puddles on the parking lot were undisturbed and reflected the sunlight the way icy patches along Lake Shore Drive's bike path and parking lots used to do, when I had to worry about skidding .across the beauty.

This is much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!