Monday, August 28, 2023

Out My Window

The flora is in desperate need of a sustained rainfall, a monsoon storm raging all night long, with actual liquid water accompanying the light show and the noise.  The branches are drooping to the ground.  The leaves are as tight as they can be, offering the smallest surface to the elements.  

There's a lizard watching from the path in the courtyard.  He's trying to blend in so that the birds flitting from tree to tree don't notice him.  He took a dash to the stony ground cover during an intermission in their air show, hung out for a minute or two, then dashed back across the path and under the rosemary hedge.  

The ground squirrels are scurrying and here come the birds again.  .......  And there I fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what kind of birds they might be. The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds Western Addition was there on the shelf behind me, and now, several delightful minutes later I still don't know what they are.

I have also developed an aversion to close up pictures of the faces of birds. 


I planned to write about the Republican debate, but I find that I can't go there.  I have notes and an outline of what I could say but each time I approach it my fingers rebel.  I should have taken it as a sign when the first title I came up with was Feel Free To Skip This.

Instead,  I'll leave ;you with Judge Luttig's obituary for the Republican Party and this photo of our sunset.


A much wiser decision, don't you agree?


6 comments:

  1. I am choosing to believe the Republicans will implode and something better will arise. I am a wishful thinker sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sunset. Enjoy those brilliant colors at your end of the earth. As for those birds, I believe in the circle of life. I feed the squirrels, and then the hawks come when the population gets large. I don't believe in the hunters who will take to the river side on Friday, opening day of dove season. Many of the doves come and hang out in our yard and next door. I speak softly to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch the doves cooing on our pony walls, then wash away their poop. Shooting them makes me sad just thinking about it.
      ab/

      Delete
  3. I read/saw a few reports on the Repub's debate and that was plenty. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin in Florida called it the clown car circus.... I had to agree.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!