Friday, July 21, 2023

Joy from USDA and Grandma's Garden

I once had a grant for Grandma's Garden from the Department of Agriculture, through COoperative Extension here in Tucson.  I'm now filling out an application for another grant, just as wonderful as the first one.

I can look on Amazon and copy and paste exactly what I want into the form.  Everything I buy has to be in service of nutrition.  Luckily,  I've trained the scholar gardeners well.  They now routinely ask if I'll cut them some salad.  It will be a pleasure to buy starts of all kinds of lettuce, of Romanesco broccoli, of scallions, and of stevia, which the kids like most of all.

What makes me happiest about all of this, after I get over thinking about the fun we're going to have in the garden with our new tools and soil and plants, is that I'm getting tangible returns from my tax dollars.  I share the roads and the common defense with every other American, but these supplies are just for us.  

I'd be spending my own dollars, or donor dollars, on this.  

Instead, I'm getting some of my own back.  

It feels great.

2 comments:

  1. I'm cheering for that grant. You will make such good use of it. I have to write a blog post about a very unusual gift I got for the Columbia students. It will make your heart happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you and this worthy project that definitely deserves a grant. I think growing our own food is definitely in the cards for sustained life on this planet.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!