Monday, July 17, 2023

A Lazy Day

Five years ago this weekend, I was hanging out with Flapilly while her Mommy and Daddy were at the hospital, pushing out her baby brother.  We slept in the king size guest bed, which didn't prevent her from flinging her foot into my face.  She doesn't remember it, but knows it as a foundational story, along with brownies with whipped cream and sprinkles for breakfast.

Little Cuter texted from the softball tournament weekend that the rain outs and the 10pm games were all part of the core memories her family was making.  Giblet's startled Holy Shit that was fast as the 100 mile an hour fast ball hurtled into the padding between them at the Louisville Slugger museum is part and parcel of that memory, as much as his big sister's exploits on the field.

Arguing while playing mini-golf, Camp Mom, cheese-and-cheerios sandwiches - that's what come to mind without much thought at all.  There are phrases we say, people we laugh about, memories we share.

It's been too hot to do anything outside lately.  Instead, I've been on the couch, thinking about the past.  Taos Bubbe called it a lazy day.  If it doesn't rain soon, I'm likely to have a lot more of them.

2 comments:

  1. Kind of having a lazy day myself. It's my birthday but it's house cleaning and laundry day too. I'm mostly opting out of the house cleaning. What Tom doesn't do will keep for another week. I'm missing my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs from Tucson and wishes for many more happy years! The cleaning can wait.... make yourself a special sweet treat and know there are people who are sending love your way!
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!