Monday, September 26, 2016

A Club No One Wants to Join

At dinner last week,  Fast Eddie's response to TBG's "How are your symptoms?" elicited a delighted belly laugh and a big, big smile.

"Once the doctor told me I was cancer free, I was so happy that nothing really bothered me for a long time.  Oh, this hurts or that's awkward?  So what!  I am cancer free!"

JannyLou and I exchanged a loving, knowing look.  We'd had that conversation many times; talking about life with a reverence and respect that, perhaps, was somewhat lacking before we both didn't die.

We looked at her husband as I talked and she nodded.

 "Isn't this just the best place to be?  You've faced it, you're okay, and it's not as scary as it used to be. Every day is a good day, right? "

He stopped.  All four of us took a moment.  And then we smiled, bright, beaming, up to the eyebrows smiles as the reality sunk in.  The sun came up and we were here to see it.  By definition, that's a good day.  Anything else is whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry on top of that fact.  It's liberating.

Unfortunately, the initiation process is pretty rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!