Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Loving Eyes, 24/7

I spent the day watching Lady Jane's oxygen saturation level fluctuate.  She had her second knee replacement and I was her Person.

I answered questions and reminded her to use the breathing device to clear her lungs.  I texted her out-of-town children with regular updates, and took copious notes when the doctors spoke.  That's what a Person does.

I was in the hospital for 11 days, and someone was always there with me.  My job was to heal.  Taking care of business was the responsibility of my Person.

And so, after early morning Pilates so that my body would be prepared for sitting on vaguely comfortable furniture, I drove through the driving rain, left the car with the Valet Parking/Free people, and settled in.

I left at 5, when another Person arrived.  There were many hugs and many thanks and much love in that room.  Lady Jane said it best:
There's nothing like girlfriends.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do for a friend. I hope I don't have any long, or short, hospital stays but if I do I sure could use a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brought my crocheting, a new James Patterson book, and sat with my feet up. It wasn't onerous, and it was generous, but, as you say, everyone can use a friend <3 and that's the important part.

      a/b

      Delete
  2. You are a most excellent Person.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!