Wednesday, August 14, 2024

The Garden Is Open

I braved the heat and the relentless sunshine, fortified by the world's biggest and most delicious blueberry buttermilk pancake.


I helped out at lunchtime with the kindergarteners and the 3rd graders, opening milk containers and bags of chips and comforting a big girl who missed her mommy.  We agreed that being homesick is tough, that she could hang out with me in the garden, that keeping busy was the best remedy and by that time the secret was out - The Garden Is Open!

I had a lot of weeds.  Luckily, I had a lot of helpers.
Being sure to grab most of the roots was very important, and a close analysis was often necessary.
The girls were bemused that the weeds were covering their shoes.  These were not as easy to remove as were the untamed growth in the raised beds.  We agreed to ask the Landscaping Crew to help us out.
I lasted for 90 minutes before the sun began to take its toll.  

It was a good first day.  There are many more to follow. We have soil to amend, planters to refill and replace, irrigation to be organized, ollas built and planted along with seeds and seedlings.... once the soil is cooler.... and Grandma is more comfortable.

6 comments:

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!