Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The DNC, or How Hillary Made Me Cry

We watched it from the beginning.  It got better as it went along.

What struck us most was how well it was run.  None of the speeches were overlong.  The signs were coordinated with the speakers.  The messages followed a pattern - thanking Joe Biden, tackling one issue that VP Harris will fix, and exhorting everyone to work to get out the vote.  They each were given a key phrase to use.  

It was strangely comforting.

Jamie Raskin called it the Democracy Convention.  The UAW President called Trump a scab. Kamala's childhood best friend thinks she's peachy keen.  

The Walz's and Doug Emhoff showed up.  So did the candidate herself, much to the obvious surprise of everyone, including the Walz's and her husband.  

Texas Representative Jasmine Crockett glittered and alliterated.  

The reproductive rights speeches had us in tears.  The personal became public and it was necessary and heartbreaking.  Andy Beshear put the policy to the stories.

Raphael Warnock was speaking when I looked at the chyron - it was 10pm in Chicago.  There were more speakers before Joe Biden would take the podium.  I started to worry about him.  I hoped he took a nap today; I did.

Chris Coons started the Biden love fest.  Jill Biden, in a slinky, sparkly, blue dress, loved on her husband and America and Democrats.  Ashley Biden made it very clear that she is very proud of her father.  Their hug had us a little teary.... and then Joe wiped his eye with a tissue and I completely lost it.

He looked tan and awake (maybe he did take that nap) and though he tried to calm them down the crowd kept on cheering.  He loves Jill and his family and America, and as the crowd kept cheering I couldn't help comparing his words to the nasty, divisive, blather on the other side.  An America where hate has no safe harbor is a message we should all be able to get behind.

Our President went on a little too long.  TBG likened it to Frederic March at the end of Inherit the Wind, but I had a hard time faulting him.  It was his swan song.  

Everybody Biden/Harris related gathered on stage to wave goodbye, including a very cute little one in a tuxedo holding Grandpa's hand as they were the last ones to leave the stage.... except for the Secret Service.  

I'd say Day One went well.  

Oh, I almost forgot about Secretary Clinton.  

I've never been a fan, but her DNC speech made a dent in my distaste.  She spoke at length, with passion, subtly referencing her own experiences as she predicted the future.  Her pain was evident, and so was her joy when she began to talk about the world she envisioned for her granddaughters and their granddaughters beyond the glass ceiling.

When she was finished, I looked over at TBG.  We were both somewhat abashed. Wiping away an errant tear or two, we admitted out loud that we'd witnessed a real moment, a true passing of the torch.  She'd touched us.

It's nice to know that my opinions are not entirely set in stone.  

7 comments:

  1. I am still in grief over Hillary's loss to that horrible man. We would be living in a different world had she been named President. Stupid Electoral College. May that never happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dkzody is absolutely correct, the world would truly be a better place had Hillary won. TBH I had never watched a convention until last night, and I'm glad I started. Well done and it gives me hope that together we will be able to defeat the evil that the right wing is attempting to force on us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the whole thing too. Ah, Hillary. Such a lost opportunity for our country. She will always be my star. But now we have Kamala to fulfil the promise.
    And Joe, who has given his all, and still is.
    It was a love fest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave it his all and we are a better country for it.
      a/b

      Delete
    2. Well said, the debt of gratitude we owe that man is huge.

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!