Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Science

There are two, or maybe four, hurricanes bearing down on the United States right now.  There have been so many hurricanes this year that I can't keep up, and I'm not the only one.  They are running out of names... and there are still two more months to go before the season ends.

The west coast is on fire, and the smoke is causing beautiful sunsets in Washington, D.C.

Big Cuter can't open his windows or go outside.  Without air conditioning (remember Mark Twain's coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco?), with the temperatures unusually high, he's sleeping with ice packs and fans.  

Our President is holding indoor, un-masked, un-distanced rallies, even as Bob Woodward's tapes show that he knows Covid is both airborne and a lot more dangerous than the usual flu.

And then, as the facts on the ground were explained to him, once again, in one and two syllable words, the President of the United States smirked the way a spoiled brat 14 year old might smirk when he knows the headmaster can't expel him because his Daddy's name is on the Administration Building, and he enjoyed that smirk for a good long time before coming out with this pearl of wisdom: science doesn't know.

Well of course science doesn't know... that's the whole point of science.  But science does know some things, and if you don't want to believe in science then take a look at the skies in the west and the hurricanes in the east and tell me we're not experiencing an unusual set of circumstances.  

Science doesn't know.  So says the very stable genius who, I fear, may well be re-elected in November.

Am I having a moment?  Are the narrowing polls still comfortably Biden tilting?  I'd have to watch the news to find out, and the news is making my blood pressure cause for concern.  I asked the doctor if I could wait until November 4th when, if Biden won, I was sure my numbers would return to their usual 120/80.  

Nope.  I'm going in on Wednesday morning, bringing my home monitoring device for a calibration check. 

Donald Trump may not think science knows, but I trust the science behind my machine, and my doctor's education, and the science that says if I wear a mask and everyone in the office wears a mask and I'm not there for any longer than I have to be, I should be just fine..... or as fine as I can be with that man in the White House, denigrating science in front of scientists.... and any schoolchildren who might be listening.

VOTE.


6 comments:

  1. Jim just left for the dentist, which gives me the willies. I go back in December which is giving me the willies because that will probably be in the height of the second wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG went to the dentist yesterday for an emergency. I'm trying to hold my fears in check.....
      Have I mentioned that I HATE COVID????
      a/b

      Delete
  2. I used to think he was an idiot. Now I'm beginning to think he is a genius, a very UN-stable one, of the Machiavellian variety.
    VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm done diagnosing. I'm too far into fury. I want to wake up in an America where he is not in charge.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. Did those he think he is doing a great job (Moving to A+, just ask him) not hear his response to a question about his concern over holding indoor rallies without mandatory masks and physical distancing -- No, I am not concerned because I am up on the stage and far away from people. Such a caring heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a kind and caring woman who will vote for Trump. Is it the anti-choice judges? I can't call them pro-life bc Trump is certainly not pro-life..... 200,000 souls not.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!