Thursday, June 14, 2018

Flag Day

First published in 2015, upgraded in 2018. 

Today, Flag Day, June 14th, is Linda's mother's birthday; why I know that fact remains a mystery.  I've known Linda since first grade.  I know none of the birthdays of my other friends, from then or now, let alone their mother's birthdays.  

Flag Day, though, has always been Linda's Mother's Birthday.  Just ask TBG. He doesn't know Linda, but he, too, celebrates her mother's birthday.
*****
Image result for gabby giffords christening battle ship
timesofsandiego.com
This is the weekend, in 2015, when Gabby Giffords helped to christen the US Navy's newest littoral combat ship (designed to patrol in shallow waters), the USS Gabrielle Giffords.  Two years later, Little Cuter and I helped her celebrate the Commissioning.

At both events, she was gorgeous and happily wind-blown, leaning against her handsome husband.  I know the effort behind each one of the steps she took, from the bow to the stern.

It's not only the doing which inspires me, it's the attitude : There is no yesterday.  There is only tomorrow.  Be bold. Be courageous. Be strong.
*****
Which has gotten me thinking about the The Star Spangled Banner. 

I've never liked it, as music or narrative.  Then, Col. Bill's wife sent me a video from Smithsonian Magazine which told the story of the very real night when the continued proof that our flag was still there meant the difference between the survival or failure of the fledgling United States of America.

I'd still rather sing America the Beautiful or God Bless America.  
*****
Daddooooo was quite annoyed at the American flag patch on my jeans shorts, back in 1970 or '71. He felt that using the flag to cover my tush was the height of disrespect.  

Of course he was right; the Flag Code prohibits such behavior.  Then again, it also prohibits all the machinations the NFL puts it through in the name of patriotism.  I wonder what he'd say about that.  

Back in 2015, though, I wondered how he'd react to soccer fans, with their flag capes
Image result for usa soccer fans
and their flag faces
Image result for usa soccer fans
futboler.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!