Friday, January 20, 2023

PNC Redux

In yet another installment of how to alienate a customer, PNC decided that my closed account was overdrawn......and that the $12 delinquency was for the monthly charge on that closed account.

I discovered in early December that a trip to the physical branch was required in order to close an account.  I went to the branch.  I withdrew all the funds.  I signed the papers (okay, the tablet with the pixels) agreeing to close the account.  I left, assuming that I had done what needed to be done.

A thin envelope arrived in the mailbox last week, the PNC logo visible on the return address.  I got around to opening it this morning, assuming it was a won't you reopen your account, we miss you missive.  Instead, it was a demand letter for $12.

I called the number at the bottom of the letter.  The automated system didn't have my option, so I pressed 0 a gazillion times.  That got me no where (I do not recognize that number.).  I said Representative a few times, then switched to HELP! and found myself connected almost immediately with an absolutely delightful woman who wasn't at all put off by the close-to-bitchy-annoyance in my voice.  

She agreed that there was no money in the account and that there was no activity on the account since I withdrew everything.  She agreed that the only logical explanation for my actions was not what was appearing on her screen.  To her, my account was active, no matter what she tried to do.  

Not only that, the computer was not extending the courtesy of a refund at this time (I wrote it down to be sure I got it right) even though my helper assured me that I'd never asked for a credit before, and that my cause was just.   

Go to the bank, she said.  It's your only hope.  So, I did, after leaving a compliment on her supervisor's voice mail.  

The young man at the bank also understood the situation.  He also came to the conclusion that I was correct to assume that the account had been closed.  He tried and failed to help me (They've taken away our ability to fix this right here) but assured me that he'd take it right up to the manager, a really nice guy; I'm sure this won't be an issue.

I didn't know where to start.  Won't Be An Issue????  A Really Nice Guy??? Why should that matter? Isn't it a no brainer?  I have no account here.  You are charging me for an account here.  Somehow, I don't think I'm going to pay this.  And anyway, how are you planning to collect this enormous sum?  

I smiled.  I bit my tongue.  I asked that this not reflect poorly on my credit score.  I shook his tattooed hand and walked briskly out the door, admiring my self restraint and pleased with the notion that I could come home and vent to TBG and type to you and then put it in my rear view mirror.

I'll keep you abreast of the situation, especially if the banking authorities take punitive action.  For now, I'm going to make lasagna.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, what a horror story. I love (not in the slightest) how the virtual assistant so often does not offer the one option you actually need. Talking to a real person is so hard to accomplish. I hate technology more each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence the random number pushing and HELP and REPRESENTATIVE and somehow I got through And she was lovely. But it shouldn't be that hard, should it?
      a/b

      Delete
  2. Technology can get really messed up and getting a real person to talk to can be next to impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you wonder what they have to hide. How much could it eat into their bottom line to hire a gazillion wok at home moms and dads to be customer service reps?
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!