Monday, September 26, 2022

How It's Going

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Except for Dkzody, the comments shared all the feelings.  It's so hard to move to a newer way of life, and despite Latane Barton's reminders (and she's 88 years old so has wisdom beyond mine) that it's just a new adventure I don't like it any more than I did last week.  

The 2nd day, I woke up and turned off the alarm and opened the front door before I remembered that I wasn't getting a daily paper delivered any more.  I frowned.  I tried to read the comics on my phone, because, like Kathy G , they are very important to me.   But they were even smaller in pixels than they were in print.  I gave up and opened a book.

I played with the various ways of getting the news on my phone.  I followed The Star and Tim Steller on Instagram and Twitter.  I downloaded The Star's app and hit all the icons to see what happened.  It took me a while, but I figured it out.

The screen looks just like the print edition.  The words are too small for me to read, but the headlines are bold enough to prompt me to highlight and click on anything I want to read and, as if by magic (but probably because of a setting I installed but who remembers?), the content appears in readable form on my screen.  

And I get the whole article without having to find where it's continued on A6.  This was not immediately intuitive, but I got there.

I can click through to a different section.  That was the exciting result of pressing one of the icons.  I pretended I was 5 and clicked through a dozen times or so, marveling at the technology and being forced to agree with Latane that it was fun.

But I still can't read the comics.  

Like Linda Reeder,  I enjoyed reading the paper over a leisurely meal (hers is lunch).  It was my quiet time, without the distractions that come with being connected on line.  Like Carol with all the numbers,
there are parts of the printed paper that I find are irreplaceable.  Hers are the tv listings.  Mine are the crossword puzzles.

It's a new world and I'm cranky about having to keep up.  That's all this is.  Thanks to all the denizens whose words I used to fill out this rant.  I've linked to their blogs (if they have 'em) in case you want to read more.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. I enjoyed my printed paper again today with my lunch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you read the paper on your computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's bigger and easier. I may just have to move Lenore the Laptop into the kitchen for breakfast and the paper.
      Can I still call it "the paper" when it's really "the pixels"?
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!