Wednesday, July 27, 2022

It's Nice To Know

Niece is getting married.  The family drama surrounding the event is worthy of a telenovella. 

This one isn't talking to that one.  That one cannot be in the same room with those ones.  These are angry because others won't be there.  Others are angry because those will be and you can't be the only one not peeved.  It just wouldn't be right.

She's managing as best she can.  Her fiance is a true mensch, supportive and loving and understanding.  But all those and that and this and others are up in her face more often than they need to be.  

Planning a wedding is stressful enough without your family deciding that you must accommodate their whims.  Fortunately, my edge of the family has no whims.

And so, she calls me.  

She's always called during times of crisis.  I have always loved being the one to advise.  This is no exception.  Her choices are based in logic, reason, emotion, and despair.  It's a small affair with an extra large impact.  Everyone feels the right to be insulted, abused, demeaned.  She's just one young woman, running a small business, designing and creating her own wedding dress, and managing the craziness all at the same time.  Sometimes, it's just too much.

And so, last week when a message from her arrived on my phone, I smiled, put on my Helpful Aunt face, and opened it up to find this:  It makes me smile that not all my family suck all the time.

My heart swelled.  My cheeks went into full grin mode.

I'm glad we don't suck was my reply... and then my brain went straight to Fiddler on the Roof....

Do I love you?  I suppose I do.

          And I suppose I love you, too.

          It doesn't change a thing, but even so, .... it's nice to know 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good reason to elope or just go to the court house. Families can be so difficult, when they are the last people who should be.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!