Thursday, June 10, 2021

Is This The Future? - A Snippet

Either my uncle or my cousin was born today.  The other one was born on June 6th.  I have never been able to remember who goes where on the calendar.

There's an app for that, and I could use it.  But then I'd miss out on contacting one of my siblings and asking the question. On the app, all I'd get is the answer.  Via text or phone or email, I'll almost certainly get a story, too.  We'll bask in each other's company for a while, reliving old times that seem brighter as I age, and then go on about our lives.

I've been thinking about this ever since Little Cuter gifted her father Yuval Noah Harari's 21 Lessons for the 21st Century.  As described by the designated reader, it's a dystopian outlook on our future, where algorithms can do everything better than humans, leaving nothing productive for our species to do.

I'm not sure that an algorithm can hug me as well as Little Cuter did last week. 

It sounds like one of those boxy shaped robots ruling imaginary worlds on Star Trek, or like the Krell in Forbidden Planet and yet every time I try to dispute it, TBG's got something to refute me. 

He's been depressed about it since his birthday.  That was January 2nd.  It's been a long 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!