Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The American Way

Republicans can't get elected the franchise is expanded.  Therefore, all measures must be taken to limit access to the voting booth.

Voter Suppression seems to be the policy of the Republican Party.  Not one of the policies, or the primary policy, the policy.  It's an interesting pole around which to wrap an organization representing, according to Gallup, 25% of Americans.  

That's almost 83 million humans. 83 million people who identify with a cult of personality determined to limit the most basic of civil rights.  

Did you see the golden statue of the former President at CPAC?  I'm not sure if it was meant to be ironic (probably not) or exalting (like the golden calf) or reminiscent of their leader's golden locks, but all it brought to my mind was his golden toilet.

Seriously.  Would you pose next to a toilet?  

As I watch these poorly dressed, poorly groomed, poorly grounded in reality white men pay homage to their idol, I cannot help but smile.  I am comforted (amid my disgust) when I think about an old man who has never in his life faced a consequence confronting (Manhattan District Attorney) Cy Vance, Jr. and all those Assistant United States Attorneys in the Southern District of New York.

He can say that the investigations are part of the witch hunt.  He can blame it all on politics.  He can say that little green men are invading our borders.  It doesn't matter.  There is now a paper trail filled with facts and those facts will tell the story.  

It won't be pretty.  

He, his children, and his businesses are all under scrutiny.  I cannot imagine putting a Former President (and his Secret Service detail?) in prison, but house arrest upstairs in Trump Tower with an ankle bracelet (golden, if he insists) and as much access as a real inmate has to the outside world would suit me just fine.

I want him out of my life.  

His own party, save those few who now are on his enemies (aka Heroes) list, is incapable of shutting him up or shutting him out.  The media, try as they might (which isn't that hard), cannot resist him.  (Seemingly) reasonable people are in his thrall.  

It's time for someone to stand up for Truth, Justice, and The American Way (21st Century Style).  It's time for the documents to expose the truth and for justice to prevail, so we can go back to inching our way to a more perfect union, (much too) slowly and with many missteps, but always with our eye on the prize.  

That's my American Way, any way.

9 comments:

  1. I heard Lindsey Graham say words to the effect that: We have to do something about mail-in ballots or the Republicans will never win elections again.
    Interesting take on representative democracy. How about getting yourself in touch with the citizens and embrace policies that people want and need?
    GAAHH! So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing and hearing about this horrible person has shaken my PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey Graham has no soul. I am trying to avoid thinking about him but seeing what Biden has done in 5 weeks makes me so freaking mad - think of the vaccine roll out that could have been, if anyone had been governing.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. And then there is Paul Gosar, who attended the AFPAC and CPAC. He posed for pictures with Nick Fuentes, famous white supremacist and insurrectionist. I would really like it if the people of AZ could vote him out, he's a national embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. Voter suppression is one of my main concerns and causes. I can only hope that the organization I donate to, and the others out there, are working diligently to challenge the many new voter suppression laws that are being proposed in the state legislatures across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I live to be 100 I will NEVER understand the popularity of that man. He is an ignorant, narcissistic,dangerous criminal. He has done more damage to this country than anyone I can think of in recent history. Hopefully Cyrus Vance and Letitia James will be successful in their efforts to prosecute him and his children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is inconceivable yet true that people think he is smart and a good businessman.
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!