Friday, October 28, 2016

Not Everyone Is Happy

I left one episode out of yesterday's post.  It didn't fit with the overall tenor, but it exists out there.

I was teary, standing outside the voting area, and an elderly man and woman smiled with are you okay? looks on their faces.  I smiled back at them.  

"I just voted for a woman for president and I'm a little overwhelmed."

The woman smiled back as the man  said "Yeah, get ready for a woman president." 

"From your mouth to God's ear," I replied, channeling G'ma and Bubba and all the women in my lineage who never had the opportunity to hope for this very moment.......

and he GRIMACED!

Say what you will about Hillary, growing up when we did it was impossible to imagine  a female POTUS. What she had to do in order to get to this place, without tons of money (Diane Feinstein comes to mind), on a national scale, for sure left detritus in her wake. How could it not? But she has my same body parts, has had my same experiences, and is poised to smash that glass ceiling into a million pieces.


I wish there were less baggage so that we could all revel in it, but I'm not letting that get in the way of my joy.  This is a seminal moment in American politics, and, like the sun coming up this morning, I was here to see it.

By definition, it's a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!