Monday, September 26, 2011

CTG's Little Hands Playground

The sky could not have been bluer.  
The playground couldn't have been prettier.... or safer.
That's 4' of blue safety material approved by the Injury Free Coalition for Kids. .
No one is going to get hurt here.  

First responders were recognized and admired by schoolchildren.  
Invited guests sat under the Saturday morning sun as sponsors were congratulated and thanked.

As always, there were cameras.  

It left little time for quiet reflection.


Ron Barber thanked the Greens for giving us Christina-Taylor, complimenting them on the wonderfulness that is their family and their strength and their understanding.  More than a few people took out the tissues.



Then, with cameras as accompaniment, Christina-Taylor's big brother cut the ribbon as his mom held it tight, just as she holds both of her children tight within her heart.

And the fun began.

That's Mr. 6 in the orange shirt.  

This patriotic student took CTG's legacy to heart and was rewarded with a Standing-O.  
Those feathers really move when she's happy.

In the spirit of letting you learn from my mistakes, I offer these next two snapshots.
Lesson #1: Beware of a 13 year old with a camera.

Lesson #2: See Lesson #1

It was totally fun!

And in the end, there was laughter and running and squealing.  CTG's butterfly logo will watch over all the other 3rd graders who land on her very safe blue ground and, years from now, long after she'd have gone off to college, I imagine another dark-haired, bright-eyed, curious and passionate little girl asking her teacher about the girl who inspired her playground.

 

Oh.... were you wondering about that other little girl?  The one with the red-white-and-blue motif?
Don't worry.
The cameras found her, too.

12 comments:

  1. I was hoping you were going to be there and post pictures of the playground dedication. Thank you!

    I LOVE the picture of you coming down the slide. It's lovely to see you having fun and with a smile on your face.

    I'm glad that something so beautiful could come out of something so tragic. That playground will bring lots of smiles to so many children's faces throughout the years. Kudos to everyone involved in making this happen. CTG, I know you are so proud of what has been done in your name.

    Thank you AB for sharing it with all of us.


    Megan xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this...Our country needs to see this(I know those pesky cameras) and know the true power of the Human Spirit. That love, hope and yes even happiness can spring from such great sorrow.

    I also love the slide pic...it's just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Megan and thormoo, thanks for knowing that CTG is proud of what has been done in CTG's name. The kids were having so much fun I couldn't stand to be left out of the excitement.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mom, for instilling in me the fact that you are never too old to enjoy the playground :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am, and always will be, YOUR MOTHER! Bullets can't keep me down :)
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing - best coverage yet! You on the slide shows that joy can be present even where there is sorrow. Life is full!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take offense in beware of 13 year olds with camras. My pictures of you on the slide were pretty good(:
    <3Elizibeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your butt looks pretty good, a lot better than mine would from that angle! Reading about this brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful place and memorial to CTG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Nerthus, life is full.... full of 13 year olds confident enough to call me out in the comments (I agree, Liz, the photos are GREAT!)and full of denizens who compliment my perforated behind. Life is full, indeed.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fitting and lasting tribute to C-T. And what a pleasure to see you having fun at its grand beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That picture of you sliding made me smile BIG. :)

    The playground looks amazing, what a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!