Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sports Shorts

Overheard while leaving the gym today: "I don't call him when his team loses."

There are a lot of people who aren't receiving phone calls today.
**
Events have proven me wrong and, much as it pains me to admit that I was in error, I have to say that Brett Favre probably was right to come out of re-retirement and play with the Vikings. He's 40 years and 100 days old when this is posted and he's 1 game away from the Super Bowl. Damn.
*****

Daddooooo was a true Jets fan, ugly green cap and all.




To be totally accurate, Daddooooo's hats all had mesh backs and plain fronts.
The only logos he would wear were "Proud Grandpa" and the NY Jets.
***

Whenever the Jets were playing one of our teams, Daddooooo always had "a nickel bet" with TBG. Sometimes the nickel actually changed hands; mostly it was a ruse for a phone call and a connection. Sure, the Colts and the Bengals may have handed the Jets their playoff berth, but I'm thinking that Daddooooo has a hand in their success as well.
***

SIR's Colts are about the closest I come to having a team this year. I've been rooting for the Saints all season, operating under some mis-guided conviction that my caring about their football team will help the City of New Orleans.

(one of my favorites on my iPod, as long as I'm basically typing my train of thought here.)


****

Did anyone else notice that football's talking faces were going on about the two remaining weeks of football? I guess even moving the largely-and-for-good-reason-mostly-totally-completely-ignored Pro Bowl to the week between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl won't give it any respect. Who would want to take the chance of being hurt in a meaningless endeavor? Why not make it photo op only? Do you think they'd play touch?
****

This is always a tough time for my boys, and they certainly seem to be coming on with the end of the season blues. TBG had been able to muster up a modicum of interest in golf on tv over the last few years, but now without Tiger his deprivation will be complete. The PGA can spin it all they want - random viewers like us are gone.
****

Well, we'll watch The Masters for the flora.
*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!