Friday, June 16, 2023

What Would An 11 Year Old Have Known?

There's a new Pilates teacher at the studio.  She just graduated from the UofA.  She didn't grow up in Arizona.  She's absolutely lovely; watching her come into her own as an instructor is an added attraction to the workouts themselves.  

Before I became the bionic woman, much of my practice was limited by my destroyed joint.  A lack of strength coupled with a lack of confidence made standing pieces challenging, if not altogether impossible.  But now, full of courage and lacking any physical reason not to try, I asked for a session that would end with us standing atop the reformer, one foot on the wood, one foot on the mat, 2 heavy springs keeping us tethered.  

No, that's an unattributed photo from the interwebs, not anyone resembling me or anyone I know.  But that gives you the general idea.  We were doing the splits.

Before my surgery, I needed help getting up and settled on the two surfaces.  I couldn't move the carriage facing either direction.  My hip wasn't holding me stable nor was it moving.  So, I stood there and imagined it.  I engaged the muscles and, used Professor Harold Smith's Think Method.

I was doing the work, even though nothing was really moving.  The feeling was there and so was the desire.  So today, when I got up there all on my own, when the carriage moved, ever so slightly at first as I reassured myself that I wouldn't fall, then settling into a small but definite pattern.

Pilates is aspirational - no one does it perfectly.  It's all about the journey, and Mr. Personality on the reformer next to me insisted that I share my experiences with the new teacher.  As always, I ask if she'd been in Tucson for a long time.  Nope, just for college.

Tucson's children knew about the shooting , all of them.  It was obviously less of an immersive experience for those growing up elsewhere.  The teacher remembered that it happened at a grocery store, which is something, since we don't show up on the lists of mass shootings any more.  

It was long ago and far away and I walked down the stairs from the studio without holding the hand rail.  It didn't hurt.  I wasn't worried.  I just did it.  

Then I went to the grocery store and found a parking space right in front.  I walked on the sidewalk without realizing that I was coming upon the small, perfect, stone memorial to the shooting that happened right where I was standing.  

I placed a remembrance stone on the gilded plaque, as close to a gravestone as CTG has, and went on my way.  

It happened at a grocery store.  Much more has happened since.

4 comments:

  1. Sadly, the shootings continue unabated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in Tucson January through March of this year we had occasion to shop at that Safeway. As we walked up to go in we saw the plaque and thought "Oh my God, this is where it happened." I hope you continue to heal, likely will never be complete, but I hope it gets better as time passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were there and thought of us. Time does help <3
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!