Monday, June 5, 2023

I Wish.....

This started in the subjunctive, then moved to the passive, toyed with the future and ended up stuck here, in the present tense, wondering what sounds right.  

I don't want to whine.  I don't want to be dogmatic.  I want to be understood in that wishing-on-the-first-star, blow-out-the-birthday-candles, if-only kind of way.  

I know I can't have my wish.  I know it's irrational to demand it of the universe.  But I find that some part of my brain goes to this strange, how-can-I-make-this-happen place and I find myself being comforted by believing that it could be true

But it  can't come true, and I'm peeved at the Universe.

What do I want?  

I want to do a Superman move a la Richard Donner and turn back time.

I want this to be the year that Joe Biden enters his 8th, not his 9th, decade.  

I read a quote in Vanity Fair that sums it up for me.  A friend, referring to Rupert Murdoch, said People say that 60 is the new 40.  But everyone agrees that 80 is 80.  

I like Joe.  I like him as my President.  I think he's doing a great job wrangling an ornery Congress and the Progressive wing of his party and getting things done.  After all, RBG was 87 when she died and, except for hanging onto her job too long, seemed to be making smart decisions up until the end.  I will vote for him again, if given the chance.

But 82 is 82 and if that's the age of the next incumbent then I'm looking pretty closely at the Vice Presidency.... and I'm not sure I want to go there right now.

A girl can dream......

15 comments:

  1. I learn toward Robert Kennedy Jr. and would not vote for Biden until it's been shown he wasn't involved in profiting from his son's shenanigans to get rich. Biden is wealthy. How did he get there? I think we need to look at not just party for corruption but admit it can be in both. Currently, that does not appear to be happening as people vote partisan and ignore possible dishonesty when it's their own party. Maybe RFK jr. also has corruption but if so, that should also be looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted that without going through the loops as I forgot about them. Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RFKjr is anti-vax - not only COVID but also kids' immunizations which he erroneously links to autism. He questions the relationship between HIV and AIDS, thinks Sirhan Sirhan and Lee Harvey Oswald did not act alone, and dismisses Anthony Fauci's contributions to the world. He had legit environmental credentials, but I'm not seeing international political experience in his resume. He is not in my list. What makes him attractive to you?
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  4. RFKjr is among the worst right wingers out there! Perish the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, then, well, to get back to your post and your point, I am in your camp for sure. While I will vote for Joe if that is the choice, I sure wish we had someone younger, or, as you wished, he was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. I'm just not ready to engage in the drama yet, but it seems we have no choice.
      a/b

      Delete
  6. At least I had a few months of peace and hope after last fall's election since we here in Arizona decisively trounced the state wide election deniers (even though some of them still won't shut up.) But now, it's all starting again WAY TOO SOON and I'm finding my anxiety levels ramping up again. *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my comment above! Way Too Soon indeed, though I join you in being proud of Arizona voters who denied the deniers their place in our government.
      We are going to be in the thick of it this cycle, though..... oh, joy :-(
      a/b

      Delete
  7. Yes, when everyone is against you I want to take a look, too!
    I heard RFKjr speak in Marin 20 years ago. He was reclaiming the waterways in the upper Hudson River Valley and spoke at great (boring) length about that work. His environmental credentials are stellar, but the MMR vaccine doesn't cause autism and Sirhan Sirhan was up close and personal when his bullet killed RFKjr's dad.
    I can't get past any of that to even care what his economic ideas are.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard much about his belief that the CIA influenced his father's death but mostly what I have read relates to his uncle. I also am very concerned with the FBI being so political; something that didn't concern me in the past ,but my husband's dad worked with government and years ago he called the FBI the federal bureau of intimidation. Hard to deny that these days. How do we get government agencies to not be partisan-- on either side? When one party controls everything from media to government agencies, that's a concern to me. BUT I really didn't like it when DeSantis said he'd take out the far left if he won. Scary talk to me even when i disagree with a lot of ideas from one side or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been a big fan of the FBI, ever since they came to arrest Vietnam War protestor Fr Daniel Berrigan at a rally at Cornell (he snuck out the side). They have always had a right leaning bent (cf J Edgar Hoover and MLK, RFK, the Black Panthers....) and James Comey tipping the election to the lying liar didn't do much to rehabilitate it in my eyes. And can someone tell me why Chris Wray is still there?
    DeSantis scares the shit out of me.
    a/b

    ReplyDelete
  10. pg slot แจกบ่อยกว่า xoslotz เล่น สล็อต xo บนหน้าเว็บ ก็สามารถทำเป็นเช่นเดียวกัน ผ่านลิ้งค์ข้างล่าง หรือลิ้งค์นี้ สล็อต pg เว็บไซต์ตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเยนต์ เล่นสล็อต บันเทิงใจ ผ่านระบบ

    ReplyDelete
  11. slotxo pg slot เว็บสล็อต ยอดฮิตในปี 2022 ของพวกเราได้เปิด ตัวเกมสล็อตออนไลน์แล้ว pg slot wallet เครดิตฟรีขาดเงินฝาก ช่วยทำให้ทุกคน ที่พึงพอใจสล็อตแล้วก็มองหา “เว็บไซต์ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  12. วิธีเล่น Riches666 pg เป็นบริการเกมส์ออนไลน์ที่มีความน่าเชื่อถือและเป็นที่นิยมในวงการเกมส์ออนไลน์ โดยมีเกมส์ให้เล่นมากมายตั้งแต่เกมส์ PGSLOT

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!