Thursday, June 29, 2023

Happy Anniversary


I've been spending a lot of time with my parents in the past few weeks.  With a new baby in the family, there's lots of kvelling (delighted bragging over good news) to be done.  Daddooooo would really appreciate this.  

They were married 73 years ago today, June 29th, a Thursday.  Just like today.

I don't remember many significant gifts they exchanged, beyond the custom jewelry from Daddooooo's silversmith friend.  But I do remember the green glass vase he bought one Mother's Day, while we were at the nursery buying her annual gardenia corsage.  

G'ma could never have something fragile; it'll just get broken.  She said it.  We assumed she meant it.  That morning, we held an impromptu family meeting decided to prove her wrong.

The vase sat on an end table in my parents' living room from my pre-teen years until the house was sold.  It moved with her to New Jersey and two places in Tucson, and then, when she died, I took it home.

I'm really glad that she had that vase. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have to search for sweetness in my memory bank, but it is there... and worth the search.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. A beautiful vase and a beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to be able to smile about it.
      a/b

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful tangible piece to have to remember so many intangible feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held onto the things that spoke to those feelings.
      a/b

      Delete
  4. May their memory be a blessing. It is!

    ReplyDelete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!