Friday, May 20, 2022

One Wonders

After struggling with the mega-organization overseeing our smaller organization over the matter of sending out emails, I was convinced that I had seen the worst in organizational dysfunction.

But now, as I type to you, it is going on minute 6 of a phone call to the hotel my niece suggests we stay at for her wedding this summer.  I have time to type to you because, at minute 2, the lovely Elisabeth at the registration end of this conversation asked me to hold on for a moment.

There has been no Muzak.  There are no manly voices extoling the virtues of the site.  There is only silence.

After minute 4, I wondered if she were still there.  Yes, please, a moment more.

At minute 9:54 her voice reappeared.  She was ready to take the reservation, as task she performed with clarity and speed.

I have no idea what she was doing while I waited.  I heard no typing, no talking, no breathing.  

It was odd.

2 comments:

  1. I keep seeing help wanted signs and hear about the lack of ability to get employees. Maybe she had to make the morning coffee or go clean a room. The situation really does seem dire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty tables at restaurants with diners waiting in the foyer bc there are no cooks or servers.... it is hard to run a business these days, it seems. I think she was reading a manual about how to do a Wedding Block... but she might well have been changing sheets :-
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!