Monday, January 4, 2021

Hello, 2021

Some things have not changed at all.  

DJT is still trying to undermine our democracy, still behaving as if he is untethered from reality, still in charge of the nuclear codes.  I am neither more nor less frightened than I was last Sunday night, even having read the entire transcript between our President and Georgia's Secretary of State.

I'm still delighted by those who wonder about the political future of a man I am certain is going to prison.  I still wonder what Javanka are telling their children about Grandfather, what Baron hears about Daddy at school, and what Kimberly Guilfoyle is doing on anybody's radar.

Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords continue to inspire, ten years after our lives collided.  My hip hurts about the same as it did a year ago, but I'm much more flexible and spry, able to be on my feet for more hours before I collapse in a heap.

Tucson, although too far from the world's sweetest grandchildren, is still the perfect place for our aging and aching bones.  The friendships we've made in our dotage are as deep and delightful as those we have kept from our youth.  Sitting outside, under the stars, wrapped in warm blankets, is a lovely way to finish up a holiday evening.  We are ever grateful to have made this choice.

And choice is what I am taking with me into the new year.  

My resolution to compliment the good when it happens has brought me joy and will, once again, be renewed.  It's being enhanced by an emphasis on gratitude, on noticing the wonder around me and taking stock of that moment, pausing to be present, to observe, to feel.  

Stopping this morning to notice how big that new-to-the-neighborhood-just-passing-through bird weighing down the branches of the crepe myrtle outside the library window, I added on a thank you for his visit and a smile.  

I'm choosing to be hopeful, to be grateful, to be aware of the good as I acknowledge the bad.

I'm leaving a toxic political environment behind, with great expectations for leadership that believes in science, in vote tallies, in the rule of law.  There is a woman in the second chair, and that bodes well for our future.  My state has two US Senators who reflect (for the most part) my values.  Our democracy has withstood 50 plus challenges to the will of the people, and is still standing.  

These are all wonderful results of a terrible presidency.  In my 2021 frame of mind, I'm going to be grateful for where we are, and have positive thoughts for the future, and try my best to focus everywhere but on the past.

Except when they get their just desserts.  Then, I'm going to revel in it, being grateful that I have survived to see it, thanking the courts and the process and the USofA for struggling and coming out the other side.  

I didn't say I was going to give up my snark or my anger or my disgust.  I'm saying that I'm going to enjoy it, entirely.  No one gets to stomp on my democracy without paying a price.  

2021 will bring a vaccine (eventually) and hugs and the last year of my 60's.  My roses will grow bigger and stronger and I vow to take better care of them.  After all, they bring me joy, and I should show my gratitude in tangible ways.

This is going to be a good year....  a year filled with radiant health and inner peace and the sense to enjoy it.

At least, that's the plan.

6 comments:

  1. From your keyboard to God's ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent it out into the Universe.... and the Universe will provide.

      That's what Deepak tells me and, for now at least, I am taking it to heart.
      a/b

      Delete
  2. >>This is going to be a good year.... a year filled with radiant health and inner peace and the sense to enjoy it.<<

    I am holding you to this. I will do my best to do my part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the accountability! Glad to have you along for the ride :-)
      a/b

      Delete
  3. That is an excellent resolution. You're completely right about this being a good place for the aging bones. I would hate to still be in the Seattle climate. Dryer is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now that it's winter time and down in the 40's at night my fingers and hip and feet are reminding me why I don't live in a snowy climate!
      a/b

      Delete

Talk back to me! Word Verification is gone!